PDA

View Full Version : 1914 AA Montreal Contract

Archive
12-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Nickinvegas</b><p>Does anyone know of any previous auction values for this type of contract?<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2772038114" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2772038114</a><BR><BR>This one is signifigant for a variety of reasons:<BR><BR>1. Raphael Almeida: The first Cuban(along with Marsans) to play MLB.<BR><BR>2. It was from the last year of his carrer.<BR><BR>3.I was bidding on it, so it had to go for a big price.<BR><BR>Although I am a collector of Almeida items I just could not bring myself to bid again(plus my connection was to slow!)

Archive
12-16-2003, 07:43 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>What about those three unknown 1927 cards? Ghost Marcelle did well

Archive
12-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Nickinvegas</b><p>Tobacco-R-Us!<BR><BR>He won all of them, I don't think I would have won had I bid more. As they say "he's got some serious scratch"! As opposed to my pathetic excuse for "scratch".<BR><BR>Nick

Archive
12-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>He won Marcelle, but the other two didn't attract much interest.

Archive
12-16-2003, 08:11 PM
Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>Sandy Nava was the first Cuban player in the US(1882)??

Archive
12-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Nice item, but very high I thought. Still, I wanted it!

Archive
12-16-2003, 09:42 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>Not sure I agree. The last contract for a famous Cuban player from 1918? $1,358.00? That doesn't seem unreasonable at all. If I were a Cuban collector, I would have gladly paid $1,500.00. Maybe even $2,000.00. JMO.

Archive
12-16-2003, 11:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Joe P.</b><p>Steve Bellan <BR>Esteban Enrique Bellan <BR><BR>Bats Unknown, Throws Unknown <BR>Height 5' 6", Weight 154 lb. <BR> Debut May 9, 1871 <BR>Born 1850 in Cuba <BR>Died August 8, 1932 in Havana, Cuba <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bellast01.shtml" target=_new>http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bellast01.shtml</a><BR><BR>Enjoy,<BR>Joe P.<BR>

Archive
12-16-2003, 11:37 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>1914

Archive
12-17-2003, 06:24 AM
Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>It was a very nice early game shot but I was suprised what it went for considering it was an unknown small-town game. Conversely, maybe these kind of rare shots are going to start getting more respect.

Archive
12-17-2003, 06:26 AM
Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>was directed to Scott. Bad placement.

Archive
12-17-2003, 07:25 AM
Posted By: <b>Kenny Cole</b><p>I was really tempted by the Marcelle, but ultimately couldn't bring myself to pay $1,500 for an itty bitty card from a set that I had never heard of before. That being said, if the card is proven to be the real deal, the buyer probably got a bargain.

Archive
12-17-2003, 08:35 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>I don't know anything about Cuban memorabilia - I was referring to an "in action" baseball cabinet that Ramram bid on. Actually, I guess I don't know much about those either - it went for over $200, and I was expecting to get it for under $130.<BR><BR>I watched all the Cuban auctions out of curiosity, actually planned to bid on the folded Cincinnati stadium pic, but $399?!? Just another vintage learning experience - hopefully I don't get a fake card in the mail (catcher gear card).

Archive
12-17-2003, 09:17 AM
Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>Scott - what Cinc. stadium pic are you referring to??

Archive
12-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Nickinvegas</b><p>Joe,<BR>Good point regarding Ballan. Although some consider the NY(Haymakers&Mutuals)teams of 1871-73 to be professional teams. In my opinion I do not consider them to be organized Major League baseball teams. I would say they were considerd professional Minor League teams. Although many historians feel they were major leauge teams.<BR><BR>There seems to be some disagreement as to who was the first latin player to play MLB. Most credit Marsans and Almeida with this honor. Almeida is a bit of an afterthought as the number of games he played was minimal. Many consider Marsans to be the first Black player of the century as he was a dark skinned cuban.<BR><BR>I consider Luis "Jud" Castro to be the first Latin player in organized major league baseball:<BR><BR><a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/castrlu01.shtml" target=_new>http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/castrlu01.shtml</a><BR><BR>Not much of a carrer, but he was part of a championship team!<BR><BR>Anyway, I've gone on...<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Nick

Archive
12-19-2003, 03:14 AM
Posted By: <b>Joe P.</b><p>Nick:<BR>1." Raphael Almeida: The first Cuban (along with Marsans) to play MLB."<BR>*<BR>*<BR>Actually my answer was directed to your above statement.<BR>Although it really doesn't matter if you said Cuban or Latin American, the <BR>fact of the matter is that Esteban Bellan played professional baseball for the<BR>Haymakers in 1871.<BR>At this very moment I'm looking at a scored program of a game played by the<BR>Haymakers and the Mutuals on Oct 2 1871.<BR>Bellan is batting 8th and playing 3rd base.<BR>Also listed for Troy is Bill Craver playing second, who in a couple of years will be thrown out of baseball for doing what Hal Chase got away with later on.<BR>For the Mutuals I'm looking at Joe Start playing first, and Dickie Pearce playing short.<BR><BR>Nick, from the moment that Cincinnati started paying ballplayers in 1869, and<BR>someone invented the turnstile, we are now talking the coinage of the realm.<BR>Whether it's cents, centavos or drachmas, we are now in the world of professionalism.<BR>The game played by the National Association, which eventually became the<BR>National League had evolved from the game played by the amateur Knickerbockers at Elysium Park Hoboken, NJ. in 1845.<BR>The young and short time National Association were the majors of that time.<BR>There were no minor leagues at that time as we know them.<BR>You must remember that paying for a team of ball players was an expensive hobby even then, only some bigger towns and cities could afford them.<BR>A team or league would go under, and that was a way that the survivors would get some players.<BR><BR>Nick, why don't we just say that Luis "Jud" Castro may have been the first <BR>Columbian Latino of the 20th Century to play Pro baseball in the US.<BR><BR>By the way Nick, that is a beautiful Almeida card in the picture thread, my compliments.<BR><BR>Stay well,<BR>Joe P.<BR>