PDA

View Full Version : 1917/19 Chicago White Sox Team Issue

Archive
12-16-2003, 11:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Wesley&nbsp; </b><p>Only one set is known to exist according to the Standard Catalog. First time the set came up was in the Sotheby's Copeland sale. I have a few questions about this set:<BR><BR>Is this a legitimate set or something created in 1991?<BR><BR>Are there cards floating around in the hobby aside from the complete Copeland set?<BR><BR>Do singles ever come up for sale?

Archive
12-17-2003, 07:38 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I believe it is legit although there are some questions surrounding it. There are no known single examples floating around. Since there is only the one set there are no singles to be had (that I am aware of)......dang it.....one type card that might elude me until I win the lottery AND the set would still have to come out for sale....good luck

Archive
12-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Eric</b><p>This set was reportedly sold again in 1997 and 2001. I don't know the prices realized off the top of my head, but I'm pretty certian each resale was made for a very small profit. I've always had a great interest in these cards as well, as I have a fascination with the 1919 Black Sox players. It would be truly special to see a few of these cards offered for auction or sale, but I wouldn't count on it. As I do with many rare issues, I always think that the day will come that more examples will be found...but for right now,it would be interesting just to know who owns the set..and what their take is on them!

Archive
12-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Posted By: <b>scgaynor</b><p>I know the person who owns the set pretty well and I hate to say it, but I would be surprised to ever see them offered for sale again. <BR><BR>Scott

Archive
12-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>James Scott's last year pitching in the majors was 1917; Pants Rowland is listed as "manager", and he was gone in 1919, while Kid Gleason (pictured as a "coach") became manager. Mellie Wolfgang's last year in the majors (he pitched one game) was 1918.

Archive
12-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>SLURP! And boo hoo..