PDA

View Full Version : 1948 Leaf

Archive
12-17-2003, 04:04 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw&nbsp; </b><p>I picked up a Spahn over the weekend with a really sharp red ghost on the back. It was so clear that I did a doubletake when I saw it (took me a minute to realize it was a ghost and not an intentional item. The backwards B was the clue)<BR><BR>Anyone else seen any back ghosts in this set

Archive
12-17-2003, 06:13 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay Miller</b><p>Adam--I can't talk about the baseball set; I don't collect those. However, I do collect the '48 Leaf football set and I have never seen a post-1900 set with more errors and variations. If there is a mistake possible it shows up in Leaf cards. Ghosts, major shifts, colors missing, color variations, etc are the norm in the set. I have even seen a sideways ghost image of a different player on a card. I guess that's what makes the set so much fun to collect.

Archive
12-17-2003, 06:14 AM
Posted By: <b>Peter Thomas</b><p>These are fairly common. I have about 10 ghosts out of 300 cards they are mostly red.

Archive
12-17-2003, 09:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Anthony</b><p>I've been collecting this set for years, and continually upgrading. Ghost prints are relatively common- it would seem that the ink was often not dry on the previous sheet before a new one was stacked on top of it.<BR> Based on they way this set is often out of register and the generally horrible printing I have a theory it was printed on a 2 color press, and then run thru again for the second 2 colors. Color variations are pretty common too, so quality control was often must have been ignored. Does anyone (MW?) have any more info on this issue and how it was produced? The only full sheet I've seen was in the catalog of the Copeland Collection, and it was the common half with Hermanski and Aberson long sleeve. I'm sure we won't see that one again for quite a while.