PDA

View Full Version : a historically significant find

Archive
11-25-2003, 10:39 AM
Posted By: <b>Adam J. Baxter</b><p>Hi all,<BR><BR>As some of you on the board may know, my particular area of collecting interest involves the 1886-1949 New England League of Professional Baseball Clubs. This league was one of the most significant minor league systems in the Northeast during the 19th and early 20th centuries. The league was home to many Hall of Famers and other prominent players who were either starting or finishing their baseball careers. Some of the big names include Lajoie, Billy Hamilton, Jesse Burkett, Marty Bergen, Hugh Duffy and many, many more. Memorabilia from this league can range from difficult to scarce to just plain rare. The earlier the piece the tougher it is. I have collected and been able to locate only a handful of pieces from the 19th century NEL in the last couple of years. In the beginning, (1885) the league was seperated into the Eastern and Southern New England Associations. The Southern Association folded in 1886. The Eastern Association became the New England League after one year and several of the Eastern Association teams disappeared. Among those disappearing teams was the Biddeford, Maine team. With a tip from a board member (Thanks Rob M.), I was able to bid on and win an 1885 Biddeford, ME team schedule in immaculate condition on eBay. I wanted to share this with the board, as I consider this to be a historically significant find pertaining to this league and 19th century New England area Baseball in general. I have encountered a few 19th century NEL pieces, but NEVER a piece from the 1885 Eastern New England Association. Since the Association and the Biddeford team lasted only one year, it's sheer luck in my opinion that this piece even survived. Dating and identifying this piece would have been impossible without help from Troy Soos book "Before the Curse: The Glory days of New England Baseball 1858-1918. For anyone interested in New England Baseball history, this book is a MUST HAVE. A link is below for anyone who would like to view it.<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2763646866&category=50133&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2763646866&category=50133&rd=1</a><BR><BR><BR>

Archive
11-25-2003, 01:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Rob</b><p>Adam, Very cool piece. The condition is amazing. I am curious if you know much about the equipment from the New England area in the mid- to late-1800s. I bought a bat from that area that appears to be made pre-1890. The bat had a repair job on a crack which included the use of six square nails. The bat is 32 inches long, has a 2.25" barrel and 1.5" handle. It appears to have been taped and has a "1" engraved on the knob. Curious if you or anyone you might know would be able to look at some pictures and give me an opinion on it.