PDA

View Full Version : Accurate Vintage Stats: where to go?

Archive
11-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott&nbsp; </b><p>I have been trying to pin down accurate stats for Old Judge players, and it's a mess. The HOF, the Baseball Encyclopedia, Baseballreference.com and the Sports Illustrated site, ALL have different numbers!<BR><BR>Amos Rusie example: Sports Illustrated has him at 24-22 in 1895, Baseballreference.com has him at 23-23, the Baseball Encyclopedia has him at 29-8. And it's similar for other years in his career. The Baseball HOF site agrees almost exactly with the SI site, but has him at 12-14 in 1889, as opposed to 12-10 on SI. What a mess - anyone have an answer?

Archive
11-12-2003, 09:11 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I think he was 5-5.....or was that 5'5" ?

Archive
11-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>pardon me - Baseball Encyclopedia has him at 22-21 in 1895

Archive
11-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Prior to Total Baseball ceasing publiction, they were considered by MLB as the offical record of the game. The McMillian encyclopedia used to be, but some time in the mid-90s MLB changed which book contained the 'official' stats.<BR><BR>Can't say what is considered to ahve 'official' stats now, and even SABRs updated numbers takes a few years for MLB to recognize<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
11-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>I could say that Rusie was 24-22 in 1895...or 23-23...or 22-21...and no one would object? And in 1892 he struck out either 304 or 288? <BR><BR>Okay, thanks.

Archive
11-12-2003, 03:53 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Not really, since the last edition of Total Baseball would prolly be the 'official' word for 19th century stats.<BR><BR>I'll ask the 19th century committee what source they consider to have 'official' stats<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
11-12-2003, 04:20 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Gathering stats for the OJ HOF'ers seemed simple at first - I simply took the stats from the HOF site. But then when I started looking for stats on more obscure players it became a nightmare. I hated to even check the other sites for fear of the random numbers I would find, but did for Rusie only - and my suspicions were correct.<BR><BR>The next step will be even more difficult: trying to find something interesting to say about A.P. Tuckerman's career when I can't even find evidence of his existence (baseball or otherwise) other than an OJ baseball card indicating he was a pitcher with St. Paul. <BR><BR>But it could be worse - if not for the full name listings in Lemke's catalog I would be totally hosed. There are so many mispellings, left out first names, etc. on the actual cards.<BR><BR>.........Groan