PDA

View Full Version : Lew Lipset's book

Archive
10-23-2003, 09:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Mrc32</b><p>I know many of you swear by Lew Lipset's book on Vintage material. I was thinking of purchasing it from ebay, but really didn't know what exactly I should expect from the book.<BR><BR>What are the actual contents of it?<BR><BR>I collect T-205s but was contemplating branching out a little into other Pre-war stuff.<BR><BR>Can someone give me a better idea as to what is actually in the book? And is there any good stuff on my T-205s?

Archive
10-23-2003, 09:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Todd (nolemmings)</b><p>I promise you will not be disappointed. BTW, he devotes about 8 pages to T205, which includes a cross-referenced checklist and photos of the various backs.<BR>A must have resource, IMHO-- although I'm sure you've heard that before.

Archive
10-23-2003, 09:56 AM
Posted By: <b>leon aka peace maker</b><p>There is great stuff in there.....if you can memorize it, then get the 2004 Big Book SCD, and look through it for all of the updates.....you will be 70% (in my opinion) of the way to being educated on our little treasures......good luck

Archive
10-23-2003, 07:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>So if you're just thinking about "branching out," maybe you want to firm up your plans first.

Archive
10-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Lipset's book would be it. It puts everything into perspective.

Archive
10-24-2003, 10:46 AM
Posted By: <b>Adam J. Baxter</b><p><BR><BR>Lipset's book is an absolute MUST HAVE for any vintage collector's library. Before I ever jumped feet-first into vintage collecting, this is the first book I purchased and read to educate myself about vintage pre-WWI issues. IMHO it is a definite necessity for N172 Old Judge collectors or for anyone thinking of collecting that issue. A person would have to be a FOOL to collect Old Judge and not have at least read this book, it is considered by many collectors to be THE foundation for information relating to that issue. Some of the information in Lew's book is a little dated,(it was from 1983, I think), however, there are few decent references out there nowadays for vintage cards and frankly, I think the oppurtuniy to purchase this book for 29.95 from Don Betz on eBay is a real steal.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR> Adam

Archive
10-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Posted By: <b>Adam J. Baxter</b><p>I also agree with Leon's advice of picking up the 2004 Standard Catalog. That coupled with Lew's book will give any new collector a wealth of information on vintage issues. Lew's book will give you background and other needed info on the issues themselves and the standard catalog will give you up to date checklists, prices, etc. and in some cases new discoveries as well.

Archive
10-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy Leiderman</b><p>Don't forget to subscribe to VCBC magazine.<BR>Pre-War collectors need to support the only true vintage related magazine in the "hobby"...<BR><BR><a href="http://www.vcbc.com" target=_new>http://www.vcbc.com</a>

Archive
10-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Posted By: <b>Rob M (ramram)</b><p>Has anyone received issue #37 yet?

Archive
10-24-2003, 02:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff M.</b><p>How many different books did he put out and were they on different styles of cards i.e. Tobacco and candy?

Archive
10-24-2003, 02:51 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>He put out 3 individually and they are all sold as 1 today.....with a yellow cover...as mentioned for about $27.95....best money you will spend in the hobby....he was going to do another, #4- Bakery etc.. issues, but it never happened....good luck

Archive
10-24-2003, 04:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff M.</b><p>Leon,<BR> Thank you for the information.

Archive
10-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>....

Archive
10-27-2003, 07:17 AM
Posted By: <b>calvindog</b><p>Where can you get these books???

Archive
10-27-2003, 08:52 AM
Posted By: <b>John(z28jd)</b><p>Just so everyone knows,im getting the lipset book for xmas from my stepmother so dont ruin the ending for me

Archive
10-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Jeff M.</b><p><a href="http://www.vcbc.com" target=_new>http://www.vcbc.com</a>/ look in the store section

Archive
10-27-2003, 06:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>(don't know if they show up on ebay, or anywhere--and of course, the inside is the best part.) But the 19th century one has Lew's huge Radbourne scorecard on the front, and the early 20th century E cards has that dark green ad for Colgan's chips, with Wagner, on it--I always thought, I wouldn't mind owning that ad. Then Mastro sold it in an auction, for about 50K.

Archive
10-28-2003, 08:27 AM
Posted By: <b>david</b><p>the cover of issue 37 of vcbc is now up on the website. hopefully it will be showing up in my mailbox sometime soon

Archive
11-01-2003, 03:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Mrc32</b><p>I bought the book and it has been delivered.<BR><BR>I must agree with the endorsements of it in this thread. Everyone that collects cards from this era should have it!<BR><BR>Go buy it!