PDA

View Full Version : Private Auctions - questionable seller's "perspective"

Archive
10-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott&nbsp; </b><p>I emailed the seller of a Honus Wagner autograph with a $175 BIN (way,way below market), running a private auction. His explanation of why he runs them as private was as follows. I thought it was interesting, as it was well-thought out, but of course doesn't wash. A BIN at 1/3 of market value, combined with a private auction, should set off alarms.<BR><BR>"Private is for your and my protection.<BR><BR>Here is my reasoning.<BR><BR>You like this item and decide you want it, your mortal ebay enemy (big bidder) decides he doesnt want you to get it. He wants its, how does he know this. He just does a advance search by bidder to see what your looking at. Waits till the last moment and out bids you. To late item has closed, he has already gotten the item you wanted. And your left wondering<BR>how did he do that to me? Actually you gave him all the info he needed.<BR><BR>Happens more than you think.<BR><BR>Now...from my side..<BR><BR>The ruthless bidder, open non-private auction. Emails all bidders early on that the item is not geniune or that seller is disreputable. Keeps the price down, scare off all competition for the item and gets it for a song and a dance.

Archive
10-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>It's funny that it's the Roy Huffs of the world who complain that their bidders are always being unfarily tampered with (which is why they go private), while this seems to never be a problem with honest bidders.

Archive
10-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>last two words should be "honest sellers"

Archive
10-04-2003, 12:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Also, a seller's arguement essentially of "I'm trying to sell the card for a lot cheaper than I normally could and make sure no other bidders sneakily raise the price, so you the bidder can save money" is not beleivable as a justification.

Archive
10-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>what I'm looking at? I don't leave finger or footprints. Only my sniping service would kbnow if I had a bid lined up. I don't have auctions "watched,"