PDA

View Full Version : early professional baseball players??

Archive
10-01-2003, 08:29 PM
Posted By: <b>scott brockelman</b><p>as some of you may know, i do quite a bit of genealogical research. tonite while searching the 1880 federal census i came across a household in hamilton county, ohio. with 2 people listing their occupation as baseball players, charles smith & w.h. white. this was very early to be earn a living as such. do any other collectors or researchers find a record of such??<BR><BR>

Archive
10-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff S</b><p>In 1880, William H. "Will" White was the pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds. The 2nd baseman of that team was Charles "Pop" Smith.

Archive
10-02-2003, 05:36 AM
Posted By: <b>scott brockelman</b><p>they were living in cinn. ohio at the time.<BR><BR>

Archive
10-02-2003, 08:09 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>I just recently finished going through it on-line (it hasn't been available very long), and it added a wealth of information. If any of you are interested in genealogy and have a few names/general locations of people alive in 1880, this is a fantastic and fun place to dig around - since the census man went from house to house, families are generally listed in order. Knowing this, I was able to locate people whose names were misspelled, etc. If you need help getting started, email me - all software, sites, etc. that I use are FREE.

Archive
10-02-2003, 08:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay Miller</b><p>Pop Smith continued on and appears in the Old Judge set. Interestingly, there is a William D. White in the Old Judge set. He was a SS with Louisville and later made a brief appearance with the Browns. According to the Cartophilic Society listing he was born in 1860. Could this be the same White and over the period from 1880 to 1888 he just switched positions? I wouldn't imagine it would be out of the question that the middle initial got messed up somewhere.

Archive
10-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff S</b><p>Will White (the one that started this discussion) was born in 1854, and stayed with the Cincinattis for the remainder of his ML career. The William D. White Jay mentions is a different guy, though incidentally, he was born and died in OH.