PDA

View Full Version : Breaking The Case

Archive
09-16-2003, 07:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Aaron</b><p>I just recently discovered this site and am not sure if this post is going to be considered blasphemy by some, but here goes... <BR><BR>I'm primarily a collector of vintage sports memorabilia (concentrating mostly on baseball) with a few cards here and there to fit into my display. I'd been looking for the past several months for a "clean" ungraded copy of the '34 Goudey Gehrig #61 (nice colors, well-centered, no major creasing) to add to my Gehrig display and kept coming up empty. <BR><BR>With the recent proliferation of Goudey reprints (described as or otherwise), I decided the only way I was going to get a genuine '34 was to buy a "slabbed" card and bought a PSA 4. <BR><BR>Now, I want to break it out of the case and display it. I don't care about the decrease in value, but don't want to damage the card in the process. <BR><BR>Can someone provide some pointers on how best to do this? <BR><BR>Thanks, <BR>Aaron <BR><BR>P.S. Anyone with a nice example of a '48 Leaf Premium Lou Gehrig, please e-mail me at aaron1050@aol.com. <BR><BR>

Archive
09-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>I've found that the best way is to use a pliers on the top left and right edges, about 2 inches in from either edge and apply pressure, lifting the pliers up as you keep the slab down. This will crack it in both places. Then use a screwdriver and carefully insert it in to the cracked areas and slowly work it around the edges of the slab, slowly turning the screwdriver blade sideways as you go. This will break the seal all the way around and protect the card from any damage.

Archive
09-17-2003, 08:08 AM
Posted By: <b>mrc32</b><p><a href="http://www.seanet.com/~brucemo/card_articles/deslab.htm" target=_new>http://www.seanet.com/~brucemo/card_articles/deslab.htm</a>

Archive
09-17-2003, 06:27 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Put a flat-head screwdriver into the slot along the card side and gently twist. They usually pop right apart, although you may have to do one or two twists per side. <BR><BR>Then take the holder and insert a reprint, reseal it with a glue gun and . . . sorry, thought I was WIWAG for a while there, but those guys are in jail(?).

Archive
09-18-2003, 12:44 AM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>be sure you do it above the portion of the case with the printed tag in it--can't damage a printed tag. Ah, that lovely noise when the case gives!

Archive
09-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Posted By: <b>Aaron</b><p>Guys, thanks for alll your tips. I was able to remove the card undamaged and without serious bodily injury to myself. <BR><BR>Now, can anybody help me with that '48 Gehrig Leaf premium???

Archive
09-25-2003, 09:08 AM
Posted By: <b>Andy Baran</b><p>Aaron,<BR><BR>I just sent you an e-mail regarding a Gehrig Leaf Premium that is currently for sale. Please let me know if you do not receive my e-mail. Good Luck.

Archive
09-25-2003, 03:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Aaron</b><p>Andy: <BR><BR>Thanks so much for thinking of me, but I called and, unfortunately the Premium just sold a couple weeks ago. Heartbreak, yet again... <BR><BR>So, if anyone out there knows of one, PLEASE let me know! <BR><BR>