PDA

View Full Version : Auction on the up and up????

Archive
09-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Posted By: <b>Elliot&nbsp; </b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2753355553&category=31722" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2753355553&category=31722</a><BR><BR>Positives: Accepts PayPal, Card is graded<BR><BR>Negatives: Private Auction, 0 feedback , God Bless, and you need to read the my ebay page<BR><BR>Thoughts???

Archive
09-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Adam J. Baxter</b><p>I read the seller's About Me page. Is this guy serious or is he on some kind of a manic depressive high?

Archive
09-14-2003, 01:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Rob (ramram)</b><p>Seems to know his way around ebay. Already has a Paypal account. Has been registered for three years (Oct. of 2000) but has no feedback. Four auctions up with the two high dollar items being private auctions (how many newbies even know about setting up private auctions?). One of his auctions is a mint Ruth autograph.

Archive
09-14-2003, 01:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>If they are a legitimate charity, they should consign their stuff through Scott Gaynor and make more more money for the cause.<BR><BR>I don't know the rules surrounding these types of things-- and perhaps theres is a certain budget minimum needed before these types of rules kick in, and this sellers' sales are too small-- but doesn't a charity have to be registered or such? And, if they are registered, I would assume they would be required to provide the relevant information on request. <BR><BR>While I am against child slavery and this seller may be sincere, I think one's scarce charity budget can be spent with more transparent/organized groups or individuals. <BR><BR>

Archive
09-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Having looked at it further, I would recommend that everyone stay away from this auction. Beyond the usual "All Sales are Final" and Private auction, I will start and end this post by saying:<BR><BR>* Legitimate charities give their address and phone number<BR><BR>* Legitimate charities give the name of the charity<BR><BR>* In fact, it my be illegal in and of itself not to do the above when dealing in an advertising/promotional/public forum<BR>

Archive
09-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Also, perhaps I read the wrong newspapers, but I have not seen the reports concerning the roving bands of New York celebrities using stolen credit cards to buy babies so they can drug induce the babies into having psychic powers. Perhaps, this appeared on Fox.

Archive
09-14-2003, 02:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><BR> Legit? Or not? I won't be bidding. How many people have a graded Ruth card and an autographed lying around? And how many would allow a no name charity with 0 feedback on Ebay to handle the transaction? I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. Be well Brian<BR><BR><BR>PS I'm just trying to keep David company.

Archive
09-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>run like a frenchman fleeing a german army. run like mucous on a kindergartener's upper lip. <BR><BR>this fella knows the tricks, the odds of his being legit are low.

Archive
09-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul Adams</b><p>This guy isn't just a scam-artist. He's a bit of a psycho himself. The "Ruth" autographs are garbage, his story and charity are total garbage and pure fantasy, in that order. And whoever does win this SGC 60 Ruth, even if the scan is of a legitimate card, will not be getting it in this lieftime. <BR>His charity "mission" sounds like a sci/fi "B" movie plot. This seller has been watching too many Ed Wood movies.

Archive
09-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>The only thing dumber than bidding on this item would be buying it off-line.<BR><BR>That "About Me" page is very creative...and scary.

Archive
09-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>and it was real simple. The American Friends (Quakers) Service Committee drew up this sheet of paper which I signed, saying all proceeds from my sale of cards on a particular Saturday were theirs. I set up at a table at the--Holliday Inn?--weekly show on University Avenue in Berkeley, my daughter counted the money, and my friend Hazel drew the poster. I made $965! (nobody trusted me enough to buy the few old things I bought--except Dennis King, who swooped up a creased Cobb red background). Then I went out and bought two money orders, and took them way the hell over to the other side of San Francisco--oh, it was for the famine in Bangladesh--and gave them to the A.F.S.C. They asked if I wanted to contribute the money in anyone's name, and I said my father(who later reported that he'd gotten a card saying it had been contributed "in honor" of him--which neither of us liked.)<BR><BR>Since I wasn't earning enough money to be taxed, there was no problem about tax deductions. A year later, a lady I had met there showed up, asking if i would like to sell morew cards for them. I said no, I really was a collector, not a charity.

Archive
09-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>Sounds a little too-graphic. I don't think I like it.