PDA

View Full Version : Are these original?

Archive
09-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mckee</b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=219&item=3241448665" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=219&item=3241448665</a><BR><BR><BR><br><br>view sellers other auctions.

Archive
09-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Posted By: <b>HalleyGator</b><p>Not unless Mom just "stumbled" across 4 of the greatest cards in the hobby ...<BR><BR>and then decided to sell them for $600 rather than spend $60 to grade them and have them be worth $60,000.

Archive
09-09-2003, 02:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>Dan, I already posted this in a different thread----they are fake. The seller is from Duluth Minn.

Archive
09-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mckee</b><p>Thanks Elliot, I missed that post, I need to read more often. Dan.

Archive
09-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>fact: the card is a forgery, or scuffed-up reprint<BR>fact: the seller knows this<BR>fact: ebay will receive the same commissions they get from a real Ruth card<BR><BR>the scam: "even though everyone tells me it's real, since it isn't graded I have to list it as a reprint"<BR><BR>why it works: stupidity mixed with greed<BR>why it works: ebay assumes the seller is telling the truth and really doesn't know if it's real or not<BR>why it works: the scan looks real enough

Archive
09-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul Adams</b><p>All they have to do is turn the card over. Look at the image of the back of the card. On a real Mantle, the lettering TOPPS BASEBALL spans the width of 6 statistics columns and the 'printed in USA' to the right of that lettering is small and tight. <BR><BR>On the Mantle reprint, favored by the sellers feigning ignorance on the matter, the TOPPS BASEBALL spans the width of a full 8 statistics columns and the 'printed in the USA' is much larger, the lettering thinner, and the placement, closer to the edge. There are many more subtle indicators but this one printer's aspect is the best delineation for observation. <BR><BR>As already has been said, the other cards offered by this seller are worthless as well.

Archive
09-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert</b><p>Looks like the 52t Mantle was stopped. Rob

Archive
09-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Chris</b><p>As I am new to this, please forgive my questions if they have been asked already. I am quickly learning the hazzards of scams on raw cards, but what about graded cards, and specifically PSA? I read about that company in San Diego that took out higher grade cards from the holders and replaced them with lower quality cards. Is this prevelant with PSA and with tobacco cards specifically? If so, how can you tell? Thanks in advance. I'm quickly getting up to speed and love this site!!<BR>Chris