PDA

View Full Version : Why variations in T205?

Archive
09-08-2003, 09:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>I am a collector of T-205s.<BR><BR>I was wondering if anyone could tell me the reason that there are variations in the set. I know that many sets, including the T-206 set, have a number of variations, but was wondering what was the reason was for them?<BR><BR>Why for example did Bob Harmon or Ed Barger have two version of the same card in the set? When they were making the cards did the plate break and they had to start over? They were not all due to printer error as they had different poses for some.<BR><BR>The players that do have variations were not always the best and most popular in that era- so I'm not sure it was for collectability. And in some cases the variations are very minor (with the Hal Chase card- was this due to printing error?) <BR><BR>They certainly did not do it for value, as these cards had no monetary value.<BR><BR>I was just hoping some people here might have a answer.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Michael

Archive
09-08-2003, 10:13 AM
Posted By: <b>Ben</b><p>From t205 efficienado Joshua Levine:<BR><BR>"I now can say for certain how the T-205s were produced. Printed sheets unlike the T-206 set. The T-206 set was produced where a sheet contained vertical strips of the same player. We have all seen those T-206 cards with the same name on the top and the bottom. T-205s were not produced like this. T-205s were produced on large sheets with one of each card on each sheet. Although I do suspect that there are at least two different sheets and possibly three. The bottom row of the cards was replaced on each sheet with different poses, corrections, or players. This is why I believe some cards were more difficult to obtain including the minor leaugers, back variations, etc." <BR><BR>"Also there was a difference in print runs...There were at least four different print runs. Huh? Yes. Easy to figure out. The four Hoblitzell variations is your first clue. The second clue has to do with the variations and print runs. The Hoblitzell no stats, Moran stray line, and Wallace no cap w/ one line of stats all seem to have been corrected on the second print run. I also feel that that this run was rather small thus the scarcity of those cards. I also feel that those cards will not be found with any of the rarest backs. They just never made it to the other factories to have the drum, hindu, cycle, etc. put on the back. I may be wrong but that is what theories are for. The third print run included some changes in poses and fixing of some errors like the Crandall, Latham, and Chase cards. I also feel that the Joss was replaced in this run since he passed away. I also feel that the Wallace w/ cap was included in this run. The fourth print run was probably short. It included the inclusion of some of the rarer pose variations, the Breshnahan, Chase were changed and some of the rarer cards were introduced as replacements for others (i.e. the Grant was a replacement for the Raymond)."