PDA

View Full Version : VCBC #36

Archive
08-27-2003, 06:54 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Mine arrived at my igloo today....nice 'n frosty...regards all..

Archive
08-27-2003, 08:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><BR> Got mine yesterday, but I'm saving for my 7 hour plane ride on thursday. <BR><BR> Hi Scott<BR> Headed to play Golf in Scotland for 9 days, good luck on Ebay everyone. <BR> Be well Brian

Archive
08-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>bad pics of Scrapps (but good article), nice bronze baseball antiques. Who wrote everything? ("VCBC staff")<BR>Great, great cover (you've probably alll seen it on the VCBC homepage) an enormous T205 Tinker, and a matching brown vertical strip with VCBC info. Betz says results of survey not till #38...groan. I wonder if I can change my ad? I've GOT MFW and a radbourne portrait. Article on Clemente--great player, but not sure if vintage (d.'73--young, as everyone knows)<BR><BR>The back cover is an ad with lots of black, and the black RUNS!<BR><BR>\Scimpy on the color--only the ads, and the antique baseball bronzes...

Archive
08-28-2003, 11:31 PM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>Apparently the articles Tim Newcomb and I wrote about the T207 set will be in VCBC #37 since they were a no-show in #36. Just in case anyone was wondering/curious...

Archive
08-29-2003, 01:01 AM
Posted By: <b>brian p</b><p>Those T207 articles were what I was looking forward to...will now have to wait another three months or so for them to appear.<BR><BR><BR>Brian

Archive
08-29-2003, 08:32 PM
Posted By: <b>julie</b><p>Remember when Dan McKee sent his Magie in to PSA and it disappeared? Well, he's finally teken out a full-page ad with a photo of the card "MISSING" Have You Seen This Card? etc. Too bad it's not in color--but that's real pricey. Looks good. Hope someone reports it.

Archive
08-30-2003, 07:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan</b><p>Actually, this was the individual effort of VCBC! I didn't run this page. VCBC is really helping me out! Kudos to Don. I do have an ad in the collector to collector part of the next 2 SCD's. "Looking for other people who have had this same thing happen to them" In 12 years of business and with no accountibility controls in place at PSA, the Magie cannot be the only card lost or missing from there! Dan<br><br>The color printing must be a pain or real expensive because I sent color scans in for my Lombardi article.

Archive
08-30-2003, 11:37 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>buddum. But seriously - it's good to see people in the hobby helping each other out. <BR><BR>I enjoyed the current VCBC, especially Don Betz' "Last Word" in the back - I very much enjoy hearing how others assess the hobby. But if Don goes to a Braves game he will find that a dog and beer cost is indeed $10.00, but you get a 24 oz beer (what a deal!).

Archive
08-30-2003, 12:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>In books and printing, color is substantially more expensive than black and white. Magazines like SI and Time are in color, but they print millions of copies and gets millions in advertising. With newspapers the stand price pays for the cost of the ink only (not for paper, saleries, building rent, etc etc). For publications like SI and Time, the money they make from the direct sales (stand, subcription) covers only percentage of the cost of producing/distributing the magazine. <BR><BR>This is why one shouldn't expect small time publications to be in full color like Time, unless one is willing to pay $30 per copy.

Archive
08-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>For example, say you as an amatuer wanted to have a professional printer 500 copies of your 200 page book. If it was mostly text with a few smallish black and white pictures and diagrams, it may (for example) cost you $5-7 per book. If, instead, you wanted it fully illustrated in brilliant vivid color like a coffee table book, it might cost you $30 per book.<BR><BR>Many people will complain that a book is illustrated in black and white. However, they wouldn't buy the book if it cost the neccesary $50 needed to cover printing costs. So, when someone is considering producing their book, I usually highly recommend that they skip color and hard covers, and not worry the complaints that the book isn't in color. If there is a great need for color pictures, the book can be nicely and inexpensively supplimented by a picture CD or by a website. This website type supplimentation is something that VCBC could do in this case (though I understand Don may not be looking for more work).<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Archive
08-30-2003, 12:41 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>One other thing. With small time newsletters and magazines, the printing cost is directly related to the page count, and each additional increment is in four pages (one sheet folded over). When costs are tight, there has to be a financial motive (ad) to expand a publication even one increment. The editor will often omit an article simply because it's too many pages and it would cost him or her extra money to publish it.

Archive
08-30-2003, 01:28 PM
Posted By: <b>julie</b><p>obviously, Columbo got it from you...