PDA

View Full Version : unopened 1909 Piedmont cigarette box

Archive
08-16-2003, 03:33 PM
Posted By: <b>jeremy wagoner</b><p>I am curious as to what you folks think about this item that is being auctioned at Coach's Corner? Sorry, I don't know how to post a link to the auction. If any of you have seen this or any other unopened cigarette box from this period, what would you do with it? Would you open the box and hope to find a near mint or excellent card? I'm not bidding, but wonder if there is an actual card in the box. Could it be a nonsport card? Any response at all would be appreciated.

Archive
08-16-2003, 03:52 PM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy Leiderman</b><p><a href="http://www.myccsa.com/browse.asp?browse=1" target=_new>http://www.myccsa.com/browse.asp?browse=1</a>

Archive
08-16-2003, 04:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>First, neither the seller nor GAI claim a specific year (GAI has obviously learned its lesson).<BR><BR>Last, figure your maximum bid as if there is not a T206 or similar card inside. What would you pay for a nice looking cardless Piedmont pack? There's your max bid.<BR>

Archive
08-16-2003, 04:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><BR> This pack is from the late 20's early 30's. <BR>The 102 Stamp dates around 1930-31, and they didn't have 12 Cigarettes in a pack until the late teens early 20's. Be well Brian<BR><BR><BR>Pack is probably worth 50-60 dollars.

Archive
08-16-2003, 11:06 PM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>Brian is right on date - not to mention the pack is Ligget & Meyers - not ATC...

Archive
08-16-2003, 11:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>I preface my comment by saying that I think GAI holdering unopened Topps packs and such is a worthwhile service, and I support their efforts in this area. <BR><BR>I do, however, find most amusing the holdering of cigarette packs that won't and can't contain a cigarrete card (Which so far includes about every GAI cigarette pack I've seen offered for sale). What's the point of going to the effort and expense of 'officially' holdering a cardless pack? Is someone worried that someone might stick in some fake cigarettes or switch the rolling papers for ZigZag?<BR><BR>Along with dubious selling techniques (of the auctioneers, not GAI), I think this is an example of collectors who think that something isn't official until it's in a holder.<BR><BR>My opinion-- and it's only my opinion-- is that GAI shouldn't holder these packs unless it is certain that the packs date to the 1909-11 era and have relevant factory marks.<BR><BR>