PDA

View Full Version : BASIC PROBLEMS WITH SCAMMERS

Archive
08-09-2003, 03:08 AM
Posted By: <b>rob&nbsp; </b><p>1. It wastes the time of those looking for items up for auction.<BR>2. It drives down the price that can be realized from legitimate stuff up for auction, because a history search of product will show lowered prices.<BR>3. The fake stuff pulls away at least some money that would be spent on legitimate product.<BR>4. The proliferation of garbage serves to deter new collectors /investors of vintage memoriablia using ebay as a venue.<BR><BR>Personally, I come across things and have sold some items out of my collection which compete for the same money as the stuff being sold by the dirtbags like eagle8016 and prizesports@yahoo.com. <BR><BR>When I sell an item of this type, I want the best price I can get, because there is not all that much product around and difficult to replace. So I view those clowns as potentially costing me money . So I won't list any more raw HOF vintage stuff on ebay until ebay remove those cretins, or until those sleazy fly by night garbage sellers get nailed (perhaps a month) and no one takes their place.

Archive
08-09-2003, 06:55 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I simply do not list expensive items any more unless they are graded by a major service. It simply makes economic sense to sell this way because the perception created by the ebay frauds is that raw, rare stuff is inherently suspect. I don't make this rule, I just report it. <BR><BR>Yes, I know, buy from reputable dealer, blah, blah, blah, but let's be real. I am a reputable dealer to me and to those who know me, but to all of the millions who view ebay. . . I don't care who you are, there are bound to be a lot of viewers who've never heard of you. Those folks are a hell of a lot more likely to buy an SGC=graded card from a stranger for bigger bucks.

Archive
08-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian H.</b><p>Adam is completely right. The "scammers" may in fact be the best thing around for the grading companies. I know that I would almost never buy an ungraded card purporting to be in Ex-Mt or better condition. Also, when I sell I almost feel compelled to say why I didn't get a card graded unless its in bad shape. On top of it I am very retiscent to buy any ungraded card from an unknown (to me) seller while I will buy a graded card I want from almost anyone (especially if I can use a credit card). If you extrapolate this to the wider group of buyers and seller it means more cards will get graded (I mean by reputable companies of course).