PDA

View Full Version : Eagle8016 - I couldn't help myself

Archive
08-06-2003, 02:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Adam J. Baxter</b><p>After reading the forum posts about this fine fellow, I decided to check out one of his auctions. I'm not going to ramble, but I'll share my e-mail to him with the board. I'll let you all know his response. I hope he's in a anger filled frenzy when he replies. Listed this obvious reprint with chewed up corners as MINT! He's not even trying to be subtle about this con. Seems to me he's begging to get busted.<BR><BR> Greetings,<BR> I see in your description that you have this card listed as being in MINT condition. On what basis did you come to that conclusion? This card is certainly not in MINT condition, not even light years close. The rounded, damaged corners clearly give that away. If this were in fact an 1887 N28 Allen & Ginter's James Ryan in MINT conditon (which is rare and nearly unheard of) you would would be all the talk within the sports card collecting world. But I suppose the grade of this card really isn't important, since it's obviously a reprint. The back is too white, the reverse print should be blue in color, not bold black and the wear to the corners is NOT consistent with age/handling. You should know that putting cards up for auction as authentic, when they clearly are not, is a misrepresentation and a violation of ebay policy. So the only question is: Do you really believe that this is an authentic 1887 Allen & Ginter's James Ryan card in MINT condition or are<BR>you trying to perpetuate fraud against other ebay members by offering a card that is clearly not authentic, but passing it off as genuine? I'd be interested to hear your opinion.<BR>--------------------<BR><BR><BR>Question from: new_england_league<BR>Title of item: 1887 Allen & Ginters James Ryan<BR>Seller: eagle8016<BR>Starts: Aug-02-03 14:16:42 PDT<BR>Ends: Aug-05-03 14:16:42 PDT<BR>Price: Currently $42.00<BR>To view the item, go to: <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2745640208" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2745640208</a><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Archive
08-07-2003, 09:15 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>just returned from a 5-day v.c. to find this scammer still up and running !?! To survive this he needed to have quit ebay after the first round of forgeries. I'm guessing the Gallipolis, OH police department will be very busy soon.<BR>

Archive
08-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Posted By: <b>rob</b><p>Was this guy's Id "eagle" followed by some different numbers previously? Seems I remember this guy scamming before under an eagle ID but it should have showed up in his feedback by now. I'm assuming he is ohiotarheelfan also. Do we know all the different aliases he's used?

Archive
08-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Eric</b><p>Hello Adam and others who are concerned with this seller and issue,<BR><BR>I usually try to avoid putting myself in the mix of other peoples affairs. Lately however, it seems like there's a new fraudulent seller on Ebay every week, trying to peddle reprinted cards as vintage originals. One of the newest sellers to enter this field is "eagle8016". Trying to lend a hand in ending continued corruption on Ebay, I took some time this afternoon to send Ebay a complaint, asking them to review this seller's fraud. Here is the text of my email, which I hope Ebay takes a stance with:<BR><BR>Topics &gt; eBay Policies &gt; Identity &gt; False or Missing Contact <BR>Information<BR><BR>As Ebay has undoubtedly been made aware over the past few weeks, this <BR>seller is selling reprinted (fake) baseball cards, and tauting them as <BR>vintage originals. Typically, I don't waste my time intervening like <BR>this, but it's sellers like this that have nothing positive to add to our <BR>hobby, only dissappointment and betrayal. I know Ebay typically takes a <BR>non-obtrusive stance to authentication, but what this individual is <BR>doing is wrought with complete fraudulence and deciept. None of his/her <BR>auctions offer the vintage pieces claimed, only cheap and worthless <BR>contemporary reprints. Thank you for considering action against this <BR>individual, and please let me know if I can help any further.<BR><BR><BR>As I mentioned in my email to Ebay, I know that they are stand-offish with matters of this nature. I guess maybe more of us who truly value our hobby should take the time to convince the powers that be at Ebay, that this kind of fraudulent infiltration won't be tolerated any longer. I hope my time and energy has been effective.<BR><BR>Eric <BR><BR> <BR>

Archive
08-07-2003, 02:09 PM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>The guy must have a naked picture of the head of ebay's complaint department with a too young coed and is blackmailing him, or something. No other reason to explain why thei scam artist is still around.

Archive
08-07-2003, 08:55 PM
Posted By: <b>rob</b><p>Did everyone notice that shushineby took a hit on his feedback for all the good guys. Check eagle's feedback if you missed it. Do we know who shushineby is? Nothing like jumping on a grenade to save others!

Archive
08-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Posted By: <b>murcerfan</b><p>completley over the top.<BR>I have sent 6 separate rports to e-bay, yet he plows on. enough is enough.<BR><BR>apparently nothing is sacred to this criminal.<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=2746323569" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=2746323569</a>

Archive
08-07-2003, 11:53 PM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>that none of the buyers of any of the vintage fakes have left feedback yet? Feedback is either from people he bought from or large lots of football cards. It will be interesting to watch his feedback in the days ahead.

Archive
08-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Bob - I noticed that as well. Most (but not all) people who would bid on such blatant forgeries will not realize they have bought a fake, even when holding it in their hands. <BR><BR>There was a guy named DrBond who did the same thing Eagle is doing, but apologetically issued refunds to those who said they had bought fakes - this kept them happy and he still made a load off the buyers who didn't recognize they now owned forgeries. If Eagle is doing the same, that would explain why he is not getting hit with negatives. It's the same old story with ebay's flawed feedback system - leave a negative and you don't get your refund from the scammer. If you get your refund and then leave a negative, you get hit with a negative from the scammer for your efforts. <BR><BR>Eagle is different from the DrBonds of the past in that he is flooding ebay with these fakes - the odds of a few of the victims getting together and exacting revenge are much greater than for past scammers. Perhaps I'm naive, but in this case I am really surprised ebay hasn't shut him down....Yaaaahooo!!!

Archive
08-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>...never intentionally "anonymous"