PDA

View Full Version : T 206 Cobb Bat On Shoulder PSA8

Archive
08-02-2003, 08:29 PM
Posted By: <b>EP Miller&nbsp; </b><p> I purchased a T 206 Cobb psa8 white border bat on shoulder for $13,000. any thought on whether this was a reasonable price?

Archive
08-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Posted By: <b>B C Daniels</b><p>The PSA grade means little to us. We need to look at the card itself for evaluation.

Archive
08-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Can't comment on the going price, though I assume it's far from cheap. Realize that the card is so rare that that your buy price is part of what determines the 'going rate.' In other words PSA likely would use what you paid as part of the information and judgement they would use to appraise the card. This is not to say you didn't overpay or underpay, but that you are part of the equation.

Archive
08-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>I forgot to mention that useful information would be the past sales of this and similar cards in major auctions, like MastroNet or whomever is selling high end PSA T206s. Looking at this type of information, you likely will be able to get a good handle on price range.

Archive
08-04-2003, 06:52 PM
Posted By: <b>powell</b><p> The link to the auction and picture of the card is <a href="http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=28270&item=2182905389" target=_new>http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=28270&item=2182905389</a>. Please give me your thoughts. I hope I didn'yt get taken too badly. Powell

Archive
08-04-2003, 07:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>My opinion is that you should contact someone at MastroNet and ask someone like Doug Allen, Bill Mastro or Kevin Struss for a quick take. Honestly, I don't know what is an accurate price for a PSA8 T206 Cobb Bat On, though I'm sure it ain't cheap. The auction conditions would suggest that you weren't taken for a ride, and may have gotten a reasonable price.

Archive
08-04-2003, 07:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>I noticed that the Superior used auction estimates. Auction estimates are interesting things, and can be useful for the bidder. It all depends on the quality and consistency of the auction's estimates. By checking out the estimates on a diverse variety of items you have a good feel for, you can then use their estimates as a guide for items you are unfamiliar with. <BR><BR>In some major auctions, I have found that the estimates are bunk (either way to high, or all over the board in accuracy). In some major auctions, I have found the estimates to be below what I thought they were worth. In the recent Kennedy auction I thought the auction's estimates were way low, and the final bids supported that. I wouldn't be surprised in a vast majority of items sold went higher than the estimates and I didn't see any irrationally exuberant bidding.<BR><BR>I noticed that your bid was below Superior's estimate. I'm sure that Superior has lots of experience with PSA graded cards (exemplified that they are owned by CU/PSA). This means that you can guage the accuracy of their estimates on other items to get a feel of the accuracy of their estimate on this card. This won't give an exact value of anything, but can give a good feel.<BR><BR>I have not checked out any other Superior lots to form an opinion on the quality of their estimates.<BR><BR>

Archive
08-04-2003, 07:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Acutally, I change my mind on part of what I said earlier. I offered accurate advice on how to judge the price (past auctions results, looking at the accuracy of auction estimates and, most important, talk to people who know a lot more than I about PSA and T206 Cobbs), so the ball's in your court.

Archive
08-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Powell</b><p> I appreciate the many helpful messages. Thanks to everyone who responded. Sincerely, Powell<BR>

Archive
08-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>I think the price that you paid is in the range of what a Cobb PSA8 should sell for, given current market conditions. As David stated above, so few of these come up for auction, that any one particular auction contributes significantly to the range. With that caveat, I do not think that you got taken, nor do I think that you got an outstanding deal. However, one point is that you certainly did pay at least 5% more than need be. Live bidders or those that bid directly through Superior only paid a 15% buyer's commission, while you paid 20% as you bid through ebay<br><br>Elliot<BR>