PDA

View Full Version : Goudey Ruth Question

Archive
07-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob D</b><p>There's one thing about the 34 Goudey set that has always puzzled me. Why is there no Babe Ruth? In 33 there were 4, in 35 there was 1. There was even a 34 Goudey Ruth premium card. However, he does not make the original set.<BR><BR>Was it a marketing ploy, much like the previous year where no #106 was produced? Perhaps kids would keep buying the cards looking for a Ruth (gee, I had 4 last year, better buy some more cards). <BR><BR>Was it a contractual issue? But wouldn't that cover the premium also?<BR><BR>Was it planned for a future series that never got produced? The 34 Goudey set did stop at 96 cards vs. 239/240 for the previous year.<BR><BR>thanks<BR><BR>Bob

Archive
07-23-2003, 07:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Bob, I agree that it's an inriguing question. There had to be a strong reason for excluding Babe Ruth from the baseball card set, especially since he was included the year before the year after.

Archive
07-23-2003, 07:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><BR> Hi Bob<BR> Many collectors believe that Goudey felt funny asking Ruth to be in a card set that was focused around his teamate Lou Gehrig. (Lou Says) I don't know if the story is true, but it's been around for quite sometime. Be well Brian

Archive
07-23-2003, 10:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Don't understand that theory, considering that the set includes 95 other players including many Yankees.

Archive
07-24-2003, 01:59 AM
Posted By: <b>BcD</b><p>then reconsidered and player /coached?

Archive
07-24-2003, 06:15 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob D</b><p>I think the theory that it had something to do with the "Lou Gehrig Says" promotion makes sense. Perhaps they asked Ruth first and he wanted too much money. Or he was offended that they didn't ask.<BR><BR>I don't think it was becasue he was going to retire. I believe that was after 34. In 33 he went .301/34/114. <BR><BR>Thanks for the responses!

Archive
07-24-2003, 06:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>"I think the theory that it had something to do with the "Lou Gehrig Says" promotion makes sense. Perhaps they asked Ruth first and he wanted too much money. Or he was offended that they didn't ask."<BR><BR><BR>When exactly did Goudey make this decision, though? I know that for a long while, they had contemplated making it "Chuck Klein says" instead -- in fact, a prototype of such a card was sold by one of the auction houses in the last year or so.....

Archive
07-24-2003, 06:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><BR> Hi David<BR> None of the other 95 players in the set was the best player of all time. Ruth was a giant at the time, he had more endorsements than Michael Jordan could ever dream of. Maybe Goudey wanted someone different, so they chose the next most popular player <BR>who just happened to be his teammate. Its' also <BR>important to remmember that at this time Gehrig and Ruth were not as close as they had once been. They had<BR>started out as friends, grew apart, and then seemed to come back together as Gehrig struggled with ALS.<BR> I don't know the reason Goudey chose Gehrig as the Host of the set, or why they left Ruth out, but this theory has been floated for many years, and I think it makes sense. Later Brian

Archive
07-24-2003, 07:44 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob Lemke</b><p>have the "Chuck Klein Says" banner on front.

Archive
07-24-2003, 12:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Bob L., what's your guess on this topic? I value your take on the issue.