PDA

View Full Version : Reprints

Archive
07-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Posted By: <b>Wizard&nbsp; </b><p>Does anyone know if any of the E Series Caramel cards have been reprinted?<BR><BR>Thanks.

Archive
07-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>If you are counting home brewed (home printer), yes (Anyone remember the infamous E95 Cobb?). If you are talking about Larry Frish or the like reprints, I don't know.<BR><BR>In person, E95 and and similar E-card reprints are easy to identify even if you've never owned one before. A reprint will have a fine multi-color halftone (like on a 1990s baseball card or color picture in a magazine) pattern throughout the whole player image, while the original will not. There often will be dots in the original, but not throughout the entire image. In the originals, there will be some areas of solid color.

Archive
07-15-2003, 11:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>For the newer collectors, I will point out that the same applies to the T206s. If, under a microscope, a T206 has a fine multicolor halftone pattern (meaning tiny dots of different colors) throughout the image, it's a modern reprint.

Archive
07-15-2003, 12:00 PM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>Wizard:<BR>If you're asking because you saw the E95 Cobb that was put up on eBay this weekend - it's a reprint.<BR><BR><BR>David:<BR>The "infamous E95 Cobb" - It was mailed to me and it was from the Larry Fritsch reprint set, just "aged".

Archive
07-15-2003, 12:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Thanks, Pete, we all know you're the E-man.<BR><BR>I wish to point out one more point. I'm not aware of any (or more than a few at most) original early baseball cards that was printed with the modern fine multicolor (variety of colored dots) halftone pattern as earlier described. This includes for cards as late as the 1930s Goudeys and Diamond Stars. This simple fact should allow collectors to identify most modern reprints or, at the least, cards that are in doubt. If, under microscope, the player image printing pattern on a 33 Goudey Ruth or Allen & Ginter Anson looks much the same as on a 1987 Topps Roger Clemens, it's likely because they are all roughly the same age.<BR>

Archive
07-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>The e90-1 set was reprint and a "20" written on the back near the upper left corner. Always seems to be paper loss in this area of the card whenever Jax, Cobb, Wagner, etc appear. Or, in the case of one laughable attempt to hide the 20, they tried to change it to a 30, lol.<BR><BR>JAy

Archive
07-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Todd (nolemmings)</b><p>Fritsch has a few other "E" series reprints, and I believe the E135 Collins-McCarthy set has been reprinted, at least I hope so, since I just won one on Teletrade.