PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this on ebay?

Archive
07-10-2003, 11:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Richey</b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2741132443&category=31719" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2741132443&category=31719</a><BR><BR>$5 million buy it now....???

Archive
07-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>this guy has been trying to sell this card for quite awhile now. Same old story, but he has added some more detail. Would be interesting to see if his claims are true. Before, he just used to say that he had 'experts' view card, and no other details. He also had a very amuzing website devoted to the card. I do notice that he has a new user ID, so he most likely got booted for selling bogus crap. The card is so famous/imfamous on the board that no matter what the ID, we would know the "Blue Eyes Wagner", lol.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
07-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Posted By: <b>david</b><p>it is funny how these people have everyone looked at their fake cards, paper experts, art experts, except people who actually deal with baseball cards. i also thought ebay banned all postings of t206 wangers because they are all obvious fakes

Archive
07-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>We were discussing this earlier. Without getting into detail, the scientific testing he discusses (at least as applies to this card) likely likely bogus. For example, to perform the paper fiber analysis one would have to remove a sizable chunk of the card.<BR><BR>Beyond that, he has placed the minimum bid so high that I doubt he will get a legimimate bid. So, it's really just a show auction, not unlike the freak show at the local carny.<BR><BR>He does say, "This card is what it is, nothing more, nothing less." And I can't argue with that.

Archive
07-10-2003, 12:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Last time he offered the card, as a private eBay auction, with minimum bid of $500,000 or so, the bidding went to well over a million. I find it hard to beleive that not one of the bids were legimiate and he couldn't sell the card to that person ... (That's joke)

Archive
07-10-2003, 02:17 PM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>If those professionals he has mentioned are legit and he is using their names like that, I think they should be made aware of it. Elliott, you can't delete this post! The card isn't a reprint, really, read the description, it has been tested!

Archive
07-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Actually, the person he names is a well known expert in paper fiber analysis. I just emailed him to see if he did the reported tests, and am interested to see what will be his reply.

Archive
07-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>There's no way I can delete this thread. We were discussing this last night on the chat for a while. You definitely have to check out his website (it's in the listing)----I haven't laughed that hard for a while. It's truly amazing. This thread needs to stay up just for the humor value.<br><br>Elliot<BR>

Archive
07-10-2003, 05:51 PM
Posted By: <b>david</b><p>this guys page is hilarious and enfuriating. who would print a fake wanger with black lettering? it would be an obvious fake. obvious to everyone except this joker who refuses to accept it as a fake.

Archive
07-10-2003, 06:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>or has this card been pulled yet again... I clicked on the link and it appears invalid?

Archive
07-10-2003, 06:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>When I click on the link above, it works... when you go to his website and click on the eBay link, its invalid! Oh well... soon to be an invalid link from both sites I suspect!

Archive
07-11-2003, 06:09 AM
Posted By: <b>david</b><p>i emailed him and asked if he would offer a refund if the card was sent to psa or sgc and found to be a fake. here is the response:<BR><BR><BR>Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2741132443<BR><BR>Hi,<BR><BR> There wouldn't be a need to go to PSA or SGC unless you want a graded<BR>card. This card has been authenticated to be from the early 1900s (<BR>scientific proof ). Not some guy sitting at a desk or behind a counter<BR>looking at the four corners of a card and telling you that the card is the<BR>real McCoy. So the answer to your question is by-as-is and I got the proof<BR>to back up my cliem. Also if you have time please read this website on this<BR>card. ( <a href="http://honuswagner_5mill.tripod.com/real" target=_new>http://honuswagner_5mill.tripod.com/real</a> )<BR><BR><BR>Thank you<BR>----- Original Message -----

Archive
07-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Posted By: <b>JC</b><p>They made in the middle 30's a really nice reprint of this card. That is what he has, I'm sure of it..

Archive
07-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Here are some excerpts from this turkey's argument in favor of this card:<BR><BR>"if you are trying to past something off as genuine you want make a little mistake as to leave solid black pinstripe out or not printing the name of the player in solid brown ink. A blind man can see those mistake." <BR><BR>--Yes, indeed, the mistakes made in this card were obvious to any experienced T206 collector. Why? Because the card is a REPRINT made with the obvious intent of NOT defrauding anyone. The differences this guy highlights are the equivalent of stamping "reprint" on it.<BR><BR><BR>"Now reader you clearly see that there are three sides to a story( my side, the grading industry side and the true side of this story)."<BR><BR>--????? The truth apparently is separate from this fellow's story!! <BR><BR>The web site is chock full of grammatical and spelling errors too. We also get the ubiquitous reference to an unnamed printing expert who has reviewed and authenticated the card, obviously inaccurate recitations of the procedures of PSA, etc. It makes absolutely no sense at all, except in the context of an elaborate fraud. <BR><BR>

Archive
07-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Posted By: <b>david</b><p>i posted a new auction on ebay if anyone is interested in buying my paper stock cutouts or my fake wagner. my four grandparents just died and all four of them left me a wanger, can you believe my luck!

Archive
07-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Posted By: <b>david</b><p>sorry here is the link<BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2741427317&category=31718&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2741427317&category=31718&rd=1</a>

Archive
07-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Posted By: <b>deadballera</b><p>Great lot to list. Hilarious !<BR><BR>It will be interesting to see how much if it goes for and the number of page views/hits.<BR><BR><BR>Good Luck !

Archive
07-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Adam, I also noticed and laughed at the 'three sides to my story.' His web site has some interesting logical gymnastics, somewhat frightening if he's being sincere. And this guy's allowed to vote for President?

Archive
07-11-2003, 12:49 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>They could clean the entire situation up quickly with respect to the pre-1930 baseball category:<BR><BR>- add a separate "reprint" category<BR>- add a "not a card but might be confused with one" category (for Roy Huff)<BR>- hire one of us as a cheap part-time consultant to i.d. reprints and forgeries not labelled as such, for immediate removal, and to identify i.d. known thieves and scam artists using the category for immediate banning.<BR><BR>But ebay is doing nothing, which means, as has been previously pointed out, that they are only interested in receiving their fees and could care less about the integrity of their business.

Archive
07-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>Great stuff. Please mail your suggestions to ebay.

Archive
07-11-2003, 01:41 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Some other categories you didn't consider Scott:<BR><BR>* The "This Mint card would grade $20,000 if graded 9, but I don't want to pay the $6 to get it graded and you can BIN it now for $500" category<BR><BR>* The "My auctions are private because people would tamper with with my auctions, saying libelous things against my paperstock cutouts. P.s. Sold as is, absolutely no refunds, shipping is $20 per paperstock cutout, $10 per each paperstock cutout" category<BR><BR><BR>Actually, in seriousness, I agree with you, Scott, that a reprint category would be nice. And if a seller doesn't know whether or not it's real or reprint ('Could be real, could be fake') then they have to put it in the reprint category. It will force them to do a bit of research and back of the cards they are selling before offering them.

Archive
07-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>The anonymous was me, please excuse my faux pax

Archive
07-11-2003, 03:28 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>whom I've seen naked. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Archive
07-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>No chance this is a 1930s reprint since the existance of this card was in question as late as 1940s early 50s. <BR><BR>Jay

Archive
07-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Billy Martin, Jr.</b><p>Dave,<BR><BR>I was hoping to bid on these super fine rare examples, but was hoping to get some scans. If you don't have time to do some good ones you can just post some real blurry ones or just copy some from LOC and send them to me. Ah heck, if tell me they're good I guess I don't need pics after all.

Archive
07-11-2003, 04:36 PM
Posted By: <b>david</b><p>i was actually going to include a scan of scrooge mcduck swimming in his money bin-to symbolize me and al the money i was going to make ripping people off, instead of the cutouts which speak for themselves.

Archive
07-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Posted By: <b>BcD</b><p>who is a wanger round here?