PDA

View Full Version : scam alert

Archive
07-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens&nbsp; </b><p>I got my first email ever from someone trying to get my literally all my eBay info with a very real looking email. The dead give away is is copywrite which is 2002.<BR><BR>They claim that they are offering a backup password so that if someone hacks your account, you can still get it back and change the password. Nice gimmick. They wanted my eBay name and password, address, credit card info, etc. <BR><BR>Jay

Archive
07-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>With these types of emails remember that eBay (and PayPal) already have and know your passwords, credit card info etc, so they have no reason to ask you what they are. Quite the contrary, when you forget your own password, you go to ebay and ask them to tell you what it is.

Archive
07-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Another thing to remember is that there is rarely a legitimate need to rush into something and hand over your info right away. Many of the scams says something to the effect of, "You must do such-and-such in right away or your account will be closed in the next 6 hours." However, even if there it really is eBay or PayPal and they have legimate concern (perhaps your credit card number is wrong or expired), they will always give you at least several days to clear things up. My point being, that with these types of situations, scam or real, you should take your time and look into it before changing your password or giving personal information. There's never a need to rush.