PDA

View Full Version : Must every nice card get the grade?

Archive
06-29-2003, 12:48 AM
Posted By: <b>Nick</b><p>Greetings from sin city.<BR><BR>In going through the threads, I noticed that every time there is a debate on the authenticty of a sharp(NM+,clean ect.) card one question always surfaces:<BR><BR>"If it is real, why did he not get it graded?"<BR><BR>I fear the day that every near mint or better card is slabbed. One reason being that I don't believe they are properly protected in their little plastic cells. <BR><BR>Just thought I would get some opinions.<BR><BR>Does every decent card need a slab to be sold as authentic?<BR><BR>Nick

Archive
06-29-2003, 01:01 AM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>Well my opinion may not go to far because I don't pursue NrMt cards. But for the price of grading I feel that the card would look nice and well protected in a graded holder, especially SGC's holders, since they look much more attractive than any of the other companies holders. <BR><BR>Lee<BR>

Archive
06-29-2003, 02:38 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Sadly, beucase of high tech trimming and shinnigans, the slabbing of high grade cards is almost a must in order to prove that card has not been altered. Also, most people that make claims about "this card should grade PSA 8" almost always are offering cards of doubious quality and claiming that this is a great opportunity for you to buy the card cheap ungraded and make a fortune getting it graded.<BR><BR>Another point, no matter how much one may detest slabbing cards, if you are looking to maximize the value of your high grade cards when selling your collection, then getting them slabbed is the only way to go. You won't own them anymore, so why shoot yourself in the foot and sell them raw when you could make so much more getting them slabbed.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
06-29-2003, 04:54 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>In fact, I've become quite an expert. It's very simple: I want to collect cards, not plastic slabs. Even pretty ones.<BR><BR>Mylar not only protects the card from acid and other environmental hazards, but also enhances the appearance of the card. It's thin an flexable; you can remove the card occasionally, and they fit nicely into Vario Stock pages. Which fit nicey into 3-ring albums.<BR><BR>I seldom buy really high grade cards, because they cost too much for what they are, and you lose too much by freeing them. I do have a PSA 8 1949 Doby--you could cut your fingers on the corners. A GAI 6.5 Ewing with Mascot, a PSA 6 N162 Brouthers, a SGC 92 '76 Eckersly, a SGC 80 Scrapps O'Neill--sure, I'll buy them--Oh yes, a PSA 6 T202 "Chase ready for Squeeze Play"--but they don't stay entombed long! <BR>

Archive
06-30-2003, 08:31 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>It doesn't mean the card is fake. It does raise a big red flag. As capitalists through and through, we are all rational buyers and sellers, meaning we look to minimize purchase price and maximize sales prices. I think the reason why unslabbed high grade cards are immediately questioned is that the seller's actions are contrary to the market impulses we all understand as members of the "free" market. It is valid to ask why on earth someone selling say, a near mint T206 Cobb, would leave thousands of dollars on the table by refusing to spend $50 to have the card graded. Couple that with the fact that a posting IDing the card and properly listing it means that the seller knows cards (and presumably knows the market) and the red flag gets much bigger.