PDA

View Full Version : Goudey Babe Ruth???

Archive
06-19-2003, 05:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Mike Marshall</b><p>I'm looking at a couple of cards on ebay, Goudye Babe Ruth cards....the seller states right in the statement that he doesn't know the date because there is not a date on them....if there is no date how does one know if the card is a reprint or if it is not?

Archive
06-19-2003, 08:29 AM
Posted By: <b>deadballera</b><p>many of the Goudey reprints are glossy, or have extra wide snow white borders.

Archive
06-19-2003, 09:07 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>Educate yourself on what you are buying before you buy it. Attend a few shows, talk to dealers with vintage material not shiny junk. Once you are comfortable, buy IN PERSON. Or, and I hate to say this, buy a graded one by a 3rd party company, one of the larger reputable companies. Most, not all but most of what they slab is original and not doctored. This is much safer than buying a raw card from an ebay seller you do not know and that has a low rating. Dan.

Archive
06-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>I rank the 1933 Goudey Ruths (any of the poses) amongst those that you should not buy online from someone you don't know or trust, unless the card has been graded by reputable dealer (scams can still be done with graded cards, or images of graded cards, so I would still deal with someone with a nice reputation). There are many more reprints/counterfeits than genuine cards, and a lot of scammers use this card, as it is popular and expensive.<BR><BR>Luckily, anyone who has already owned 1933-4 Goudeys (including rough condition commons) will be able to tell the difference between the real and fake Ruth wish some ease. A quick, in person comparison of printing and stock will weed out nearly all fakes right away. If you buy some cheap Goudey commons, I bet it will even help you pick out the fakes on eBay.<BR><BR>Also, most fake Goudey Ruths can be detected (or strongly hinted at) because either the picture card looks bad or the seller uses the tell-tale scamm seller language ("I'm no expert, but a local card shop said such-and-such" ... "Absolutely no returns" ... "My squirrell needs an emergency hernia opperation and I need the money quick" ... "This was obtained from the estate of my 7 year old sister")<BR><BR>When buying expensive, esoteric and/or items I'm not personally experienced with, I am a firm beleiver in buying from dealers and I know and respect.

Archive
06-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>I should also point out the Goudey Ruths are not rare, so the buyer can wait for the right opportinity to buy one. In other words, if a buyer doesn't jump on the next Goudey Ruth to pop up on eBay, there will be many others.

Archive
06-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>On the one hand, I have seen a few reputable dealers win the "Feldman Fake" Goudeys, which is scarey. On the other hand, I've bought plenty of Goudeys on ebay (including a Ruth), and never gotten burned.<BR><BR>If you question the authenticity of a card, and the dealer seems reputable, ask if you can return it if in your opinion it is fake. That's how I bought my only Goudey Ruth. <BR>

Archive
06-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>One very last point (maybe).<BR><BR>Having dealt with scammers and counterfeiters and forgers for some time (No, I'm not refering to the in-laws), it is my experience that you can identify over one half of the the eBay and similar scams, just by reading the language and phrases of their description and without even looking at the provided images.<BR><BR>

Archive
06-19-2003, 01:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>I agree with Scott. Even it's Sotheby's or MastroNet or your favorite grading company, everyone makes mistakes from time to time (Though a top dealer should be making a whole lot fewer mistakes than anyone else). A sign of a good dealer is how they deal with the mistakes when they arrise. One of the reasons you have peace of mind buying from a dealer you know and trust, is that you know that if what you buy turns out to be a fake the situation will be taken care of.

Archive
06-19-2003, 03:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike Henry</b><p>Hello!!! You sound like you are quite knowledgable.I have aquired six photo cards one of Babe Ruth. Standing hands at side and no logo on uniform.<BR>Believe it to be 1914-15. Measures 1 1/2 X 2 1/2 approx. If you email me I will send picture.<BR>Thanks Mike Henry

Archive
06-20-2003, 06:48 AM
Posted By: <b>Mike Marshall</b><p>Thanks you very much for all of your thorough input...it is appreciated!<BR><BR>Mike