PDA

View Full Version : Long time no post

Archive
05-29-2003, 11:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Trevor Hocking (snider4prez)</b><p>Hi there all. For those of you who don't know me I use to be a pretty regular user of the old Fullcount board and this network 54 board when it first started. I have been out of collecting for some time now because my wife was diagnosed with Adrenal Cortical Carcinoma, (cancer of the adrenal gland). I just wanted to tell everyone on this board thank you for all the prayers and kind thoughts. I had a wonderful four years with my wife. She passed away on January 11, 2003 on home plate at a slow pitch softball game at age 23. My wife and I loved the game of baseball. We both played at the college level, but she was always the star and still is. I just wanted to let everyone know that this is just a hobby and you should never miss one second that you can spend with your family. I savor every moment with our three year old son and will never miss a game, play, or laugh. I would hope everyone could have the knowledge from the life lesson that I have had. We only get one shot at this. Thanks again for all the kind words and I look forward to posting again.<BR>Trevor Hocking (snider4prez)

Archive
05-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Jay behrens</b><p>Welcome back and sorry to hear about your loss.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
05-29-2003, 01:52 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Glad to hear from you Trevor. I was aware that your wife had been ill. My best wishes. I try my best to live each day to the fullest and count my blessings, as I'm aware that each of us only goes through life once. David.

Archive
05-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy Leiderman</b><p>Sorry to hear about your loss<BR>Hope to read your hobby comments very soon.<BR><BR>

Archive
05-29-2003, 05:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Todd (nolemmings)</b><p>for re-emphasizing the obvious-- so obvious that it's often overlooked. Please accept my condolences for your loss.<BR>Todd

Archive
05-29-2003, 05:06 PM
Posted By: <b>James Verrill</b><p><BR>Trevor,<BR><BR>While we have had a few disagreements in the past, I want to come forward and say that you are a gentleman of the highest caliber. Quite simply, I have met few people, if any, that possess the true character that you possess. That is the absolute truth, everything and anything else, aside.<BR><BR>My very best friend also lost his wife to cancer this year. She, too, was only in her early twenties. It was a very very sad thing for us all, and we continue to live with it each day. You are a lucky man in one way, though. My friend was not fortunate enough to have had any children. And, as a father, I know how precious children can be in an emotional situation like your own. My mother-in-law passed away recently, and a year later - to the day - my wife and I had identical twin girls come in to our life. It's bittersweet how these things work. I don't understand it. In fact, I gave up trying to understand. Now, I just pray for time with those I love, and cherish the moments we do share.<BR><BR>Perhaps, someday you and I can call ourselves friends. I would like that. In the meantime, I hope you will email me and let me know if you'd like someone to talk to, share memories with, or if you just want to let off some steam. I can be a good listener. I'm happy to offer my phone number if you'd like it.<BR><BR><BR>James Verrill

Archive
05-29-2003, 07:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>I looked at a couple of your early posts to make me remember you--why does the name "Trevor Hocking" ring so many bells? There was a post about your "greatest find," which I'm sure i don't have to remind you of, and one about an Evers with Carolina Brights back that you'd just put on ebay.<BR><BR>Such sorrow and shock at your loss I'm sure we all feel--23--I'm 68! Some people have all the luck...<BR><BR>My stepmom died a year and a half ago, and left her four real and adopted children a good deal of money. I gave a bunch to my children, and spent most of the rest on baseball cards (to everyone's horror--except those who were selling me the cards!) But there's always more cards than money...<BR><BR>Anxious to hear from you about cards. And will you be a 19th century nut, an "E" freak, a Monster lover,--or someone who's always apologizing because he thinks the cards he wants are too new? deadballera, Blacksox..I like to mix them up, myself.<BR><BR> best,<BR> <BR> Julie<BR><BR>

Archive
05-30-2003, 02:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Adam J. Baxter</b><p>Although we've never corresponeded, as I'm new to this board, from one collector to another I just wanted to welcome you back and express my condolences for your loss.

Archive
05-30-2003, 06:41 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>So sorry to hear about your loss. I can sympathize and empahize with you, as a lot of folks on the board can. Three weeks ago I walked around a track all night, and was the Team Captain Coordinator, for the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life in our area. I got blisters on both feet but we raised about $50,000 to help in the fight. The blisters were well worth it. I encourage everyone to help in any way they can to beat this deadly disease. One in two men and one in three women will get cancer in their life. Take care, keep your chin up as your wife would want you too, and warmest regards.......and welcome back.. leon

Archive
06-13-2003, 12:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Trevor Hocking</b><p>Thank you everyone for the kind words and great e-mails. It's nice to know that you can so many friends around the world that you have never seen. This is why I love this hobby. My son, family, friends, and baseball cards (in that order) is what makes my days a little brighter. Thanks again and I look forward to posting again.<BR>Trevor