PDA

View Full Version : How many 't', 'e', and 'n' sets are there, total?

Archive
05-19-2003, 12:14 AM
Posted By: <b>Ben&nbsp; </b><p>Can someone tell me the total numbers of caramel/candy, tobacco, and 19th century sets? I guess I could find out by counting them up in SCD. <BR><BR>I'm guessing there are between 30 and 40 e sets but I could be way off...<BR><BR><BR>Ben

Archive
05-19-2003, 02:11 AM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>Ben,<BR><BR>Assuming that you're only talking about sets directly (and somewhat indirectly) related to sports, you've got the following:<BR><BR>T200 - T235 (35 sets, does not include uncataloged T224 boxing set) plus T3s, T4s, T5s, T6s (maybe), T7 (type 6), T9s and arguably, T37, T50, T51. That's 44 total 20th century Tobacco "sports" sets.<BR><BR><BR>

Archive
05-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Posted By: <b>julie</b><p>you'll find not all the sets have "N" designastions. Partly because some had not been discovered when the"N" was awarded, and partly because someone felt they were "different. The "Hs", the E.R. Williams Game set (though there is a WG1), all the various Peck and Snyders, --does Just So have an N?

Archive
05-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I think Just So's would be "N-unc", as well as Four Base Hits, Hancock Clothing minor leaguers, and a few others I am sure I am missing....later

Archive
05-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Glen V</b><p>I don't think Hancock clothing would be an N card, aren't N's just for 19th century tobacco - that keeps the G&B gum an E card (correct?)<BR><BR>Other E, N, & T issues and questions:<BR>T-Unc Plow Boy<BR>E-Unc Oakland Oaks<BR>Old Mill Cabinets should be a T issue instead of H807<BR>Some consider E98s w/ Old Put Cigar stamps to be T issues<BR>E136/137 cover 20+ years of Zeenuts, should they each have a different number?<BR>What about sub-types: E90-1,2,3, E91-A,B,C, etc.?<BR>

Archive
05-19-2003, 01:26 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>you are correct, the N designation is for 19th century tobacco cards. G&B I think are e223. Too lazy to look it up.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
05-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Ben</b><p>I'm really just looking for some very general numbers for the webpage I'm building...<BR><BR>as for the e set estimate, I treat e91 A, B, and C as parts of a single set, just as Dockman, Crofts Candy/Cocoa and Nadja are all parts of the e92 set.<BR><BR><BR>any estimates?

Archive
05-19-2003, 02:37 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Lipset lists over 50 sets just in the 19th century catagory. Haven't bothered to to do a count of the others.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
05-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>You are correct. The Hancock Clothing would be H-unc because they were advertising cards, not nineteenth century tobacco or "N"....As far as I know any gum or caramel cards are "E"s, regardless of when they were made ala G & B....but there are exceptions I am sure.... ..later

Archive
05-19-2003, 06:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Ben</b><p>I know what t3's and t4's are, but can you please explain to me what t5's, t6's and t7's are?<BR><BR><BR><BR>Ben

Archive
05-19-2003, 10:41 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>T5's are Pinkerton Cabinet cards. They are postcard sized black & white photos glued to a rather cheap cardboard backing. They are often seen detached from the backing. They were issued around 1910 and include some great players, including Cobb and Joe Jackson. There's also a card showing Joe McCarthy as a minor league player. They're all very tough to find -- much tougher than the T3's, but also not nearly as attractive or popular.<BR><BR>Don't know anything about T6 or T7.

Archive
05-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Posted By: <b>BcD</b><p>have a card of Herby Hancock?

Archive
05-20-2003, 09:57 AM
Posted By: <b>Glen V</b><p>Don't know what T6 & T7's are either, but they deal with some other sport than baseball.<BR><BR>Here's a list of the T cards:<BR><a href="http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/tobacco.html" target=_new>http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/tobacco.html</a><BR><BR>Here's a list of all cards. It should be easy to find the N cards, the E cards will take more work.<BR><a href="http://members.aol.com/METSBWD/chrono.html" target=_new>http://members.aol.com/METSBWD/chrono.html</a>

Archive
05-20-2003, 10:10 AM
Posted By: <b>Todd (nolemmings)</b><p>The T6s are the Murad college series, and the T7 type referenced by MW are "Sports Girls", part of the Hamilton King Girls series issued by Helmar and Turkish Trophy brands.<BR><BR>Also, I think two of the baseball stamps series have T designations around T330-- the Piedmont and Helmar issues. Don't know if you consider those "cards" but thought I'd throw 'em in.<BR>

Archive
05-20-2003, 11:03 AM
Posted By: <b>Glen V</b><p>Oops, wasn't thinking about college ball or women. Aren't Murad's listed as T51? Are the T6's the large Murads? Women also have N360 Ideal Cut Plug, plus the Allen & Ginter issues (N48?).<BR><BR>While on looking at baseball themed cards, you could add T88(?) Mutt & Jeff, N86 Perilous Occupations, N88 Terrors of America, N154 Duke's Baseball Presidents, or a few others. They aren't much different than T203 Baseball Comics or N135 Talk of the Diamond.

Archive
05-21-2003, 10:10 AM
Posted By: <b>Glen V</b><p>I found an Excel spreadsheet listing card types. Not counting backs and sub-types it shows:<BR><BR>E types w/ ACC #'s - 40<BR>E types UNC - 8<BR><BR>N types w/ ACC #'s - 24<BR>N types UNC - at least 8<BR><BR>T types w/ ACC #'s - 31<BR>T types UNC - 7<BR><BR>This doesn't include college, women, comics (except N135 & T203), etc.<BR><BR>Ben (or anyone), send me your e-mail if you would like the spreadsheet.<BR><BR>