PDA

View Full Version : 1932 Braves Team Issue

Archive
03-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Posted By: <b>Thomas</b><p>Hello,<BR><BR> I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this issue? Perhaps providing a scan of an example. I collect Bill Urbanski cards and this is one of the few I have left to get. But I have no idea what these cards look like or their rarity. Any information would be appreciated.<BR><BR>Thank you,<BR>Thomas<BR><BR>

Archive
03-15-2003, 10:48 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>nothing listed in teh SCD Big Book, so I would be interested in a checklist of this set.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
03-15-2003, 11:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Thomas</b><p>Hello,<BR><BR>I have the Beckett Almanac #6 and it's listed on page number 132. This is what it says about the set:<BR><BR>1932 Braves Team Issue<BR>These blank-backed photos which measure 9" by 12" are a sepia color against cream borders. All photos are copyright 1932 by "Gowell Studios". Since they are unnumbered we have sequenced them in alphabetical order.<BR><BR>Complete set : $150/$70<BR>Wally Berger 20/9<BR>Huck Betts 10/4.50<BR>Ed Brandt 10/4.50<BR>Ben Cantwell 10/4.50<BR>Pinky Hargrave 15/6.75<BR>Fritz Knothe 10/4.50<BR>Freddie Leach 10/4.50<BR>Rabbit Maranville 25/11<BR>Bill McKechnie 25/11<BR>Randy Moore 10/4.50<BR>Art Shires 15/6.75<BR>Al Spohrer 10/4.50<BR>Red Worthington 10/4.50<BR>Bill Urbanski 10/4.50<BR><BR> That's all the info I have on the set. Does anyone have anything to add? Pictures hopefully.<BR><BR>Take care,<BR>Thomas

Archive
03-15-2003, 01:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Sounds as if they are simply studio photographs of Braves players and not trading cards. A lot of stuff Beckett and SCD put in their trading card price guides aren't trading cards, or were even sold to the public. Joseph Hall Cabinets and Carl Horner Cabinets, for examples.

Archive
03-15-2003, 01:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>My suggestion is not that these items are not worth obtaining. Merely, I was suggesting that the sets inclusion in the price guide was arbitrary (as is with the inclusion of most non-trading card items in a trading card price guide. For example, I have no idea why the Joseph Hall Cabinets are included in a trading card price guide, when hundreds of other cabinets made by other prominant photographers aren't. The price guides, likely following the hobby's fashion, decided that somehow a cabinet made by Joseph Hall was closer to a trading card than a cabinet made by, say, Falk.). I was also suggesting that neither the SCD or Beckett price guide should be viewed as a checklist bible for what is or is not neccesary for a complete trading card collection. The baseball card price guides are neither complete nor completely baseball cards.

Archive
03-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Have to agree with David, these sound more like the picture pack items that clubs used to sell in teh 60s adn 70s, and at 9x12, can't imagine that they would be a 'card', but more like a photo in stock quality.<BR><BR>definately something I will not be adding to my database<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
03-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Thomas</b><p> Card or photo...call it what you want, I'd still like to add the Urbanski to my collection. So if anyone has anymore information about them feel free to email me. Thanks for the replies so far. <BR><BR>Take care,<BR>Thomas<BR><BR>