PDA

View Full Version : This Gimbel's looks authentic--- thoughts?

Archive
03-12-2003, 09:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Todd (nolemmings)</b><p>I know there are some flags with this auction, but what do you think about authenticity?<BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2716158868&category=31719" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2716158868&category=31719</a>

Archive
03-12-2003, 09:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay Miller</b><p>Private Auction<BR>Zero Feedback<BR>Seller listed as being in Singapore<BR><BR>I don't care what the scan looks like. I would move on to the next lot.

Archive
03-12-2003, 11:42 AM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>David's rule of thumb is, if it's a private auction don't bid. Simple as that. Unless there are exceptional circumtances (the Hope Diamond being offered by Christies or a T206 Honus Wagner being offered by MastroNet), there's no good reason to be hiding bidders. At least no reason good enough to induce me to bid.<BR><BR>I will note that I have bought from foreign sellers (from England, Italy, Romania, etc) on eBay and have not had any trouble whatsoever. Most of these items (foreign issued Hollywood real photo postcards) were inexpensive ($9 at the most), each of the sellers appeared well versed in the material and had top notch feedback ... The vast majority of these postcards are in foreign countries (point of origin), and ordinarilly have to be bought through these countries.<BR>

Archive
03-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Ben</b><p>Especially since that card was on ebay less than a month ago.

Archive
03-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Being preemtive, I realize that some people here who are above board like and sometimes even use private auctions. However, I stand behind my rule of thumb. Any bidder, especially beginners, who skips all private auctions will, by that one simple rule, be doing themselves a load of good. Will they miss out on one or two legitimate items? Possibly. Will they miss out on hundreds of fakes, forgeries and shill bids? Definitely.

Archive
03-12-2003, 12:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Scott M</b><p>I had emailed the owner of the card and asked for his phone number. His response was that he could send me the number but didn't know English very well. So he didn't send the phone number. Needless to say, I'm not bidding.<BR><BR>Regards

Archive
03-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Scott M</b><p>Also, Originally I don't think this was a private auction - I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure that originally it wasn't.

Archive
03-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Posted By: <b>JC</b><p>The card looks legit. Just pay with Pay-pal using your credit card and your protected. Credit cards protect the buyers a lot more than the sellers! I'd buy, but I'm saving for the KB from Lew. Keith O. told me he is laying off it.