PDA

View Full Version : If you just see one movie this year

Archive
02-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>you must see Gods and Generals. Forgive this non-vintage card comment Elliot, but this movie is terrific, the best movie I have seen in 2002 or 2003. If Stephen Lang doesn't get an Oscar nomination for his portrayl of Gem Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, something is wrong. Since a lot of vintage card collectors are also history buffs, I thought I'd drop an unabashed plug. This movie strips the veneer off the revisonist view of the Civil War, North and South, and offers a balanced and true portrayl. If you love historical movies which are well acted and superbly directed, or if you just enjoy good movies, or if you are a Southerner, you have to see this show.<BR>O.K. plug over.

Archive
02-22-2003, 11:14 PM
Posted By: <b>B C Daniels</b><p>thee is so much controversy over???

Archive
02-22-2003, 11:20 PM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>Probably the most intelligent and innovative of all generals in the war on either side. He became the first Wizard of the KKK then quit after it turned violent. Shelby Foote, probably the most noted Civil War historian of our day, said the Civil War featured/produced two geniuses, Abraham Lincoln and Nathan Bedford Forrest.

Archive
02-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>you can miss, unless you have to see everything Spacey's in, like i do. Some critic this morning said if you liked jokes about republicans, you might like it. Well, I suppose Texas is run by republicans, but it's the anti-death penalty people that take it on the chin in this movie--by carrying things, shall we say, just a little too far?<BR><BR>

Archive
02-24-2003, 07:11 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>After reading Bob's post I immediately went to the theatre to see "Gods and Generals" (great post timing - it was starting in 15 minutes). It was a beautiful day in Atlanta but I figured, two hours for a movie and I can still enjoy two hours of daylight afterward...wrong! At 4:15 the intermission began. <BR><BR>The best thing a movie can have is a good editor - this one didn't. The attention to authenticity was amazing, and if you have any interest in the Civil War you have to see this, despite it's "too much-ness" (never-ending "good-bye" scenes and drawn-out soliloquys). But I would have preferred "The Battle of Fredericksburg" as a 2-hr version of this movie.<BR><BR>Also, I think they should have cut a few of the "singing by the fire" scenes and added a couple of scenes with the soldiers playing a game of baseball!<BR><BR>Anyway, got home in time for a run with the dog at dusk, and watched the ending to "Eight Men Out", followed by "The Natural". Great evening!

Archive
02-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>relegated to the chick flick "10 days to lose a guy" this weekend. Which, actually was a pretty funny movie. Kate Hudson is hilarious in the movie (not to mention not too difficult on the eyes). Anyway, I'm good for guys night out on Wednesday now........<BR><BR>