PDA

View Full Version : Help with T-205 Set

Archive
02-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff M&nbsp; </b><p>Hi all,<BR> I am thinking of trying to put together the set of T-205s.I would like to know if this is an impossible task.What are the hardest cards to get.Also just your opinion on this set,what do people think of it?Any info would be a big help.Thank you in advance.Jeff

Archive
02-20-2003, 04:39 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Easily one of the best looking sets of all time. This set is similar tot eh t207 set in that not all cards are equally common, but nowhere nearly as frustrating to find as t207s. Cards that will give yout he most trouble are Joss and the Hoblitzel variation. People also say the minor leaguers are bit tougher than the other cards, but when I put together the set back in the 80s when I was buying ans selling actively, I had no problem with minor league cards. I also lucked into getting a Joss and the Hobby card right away, so it wasn't as frustrating to put together for me as it has been for most people.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
02-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Posted By: <b>B. Hodes</b><p>Well I'm almost there and here are my observations about putting a T205 set together.<BR>Any card graded above "6" (if and when you find one) will generally be at least $200 and the pop reports will likely determine how much over $200. These cards are very very condition-sensitive and trimmed and recolored cards are out there for the unsuspecting.<BR><BR>Collecting a set in vg-Ex /Ex condition is feasable except a few of the variations will be very expensive if and when you find them (egs. one of the Wallaces without a hat, the Moran with a stray line variation and the infamous Hoblitzell without stats). The last Hoblitzell sans stats sold for around $15,000 -- and I think it was graded "40" by SGC. <BR> Guess which card I don't have....

Archive
02-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Posted By: <b>ockday</b><p>Jeff..from my experience I say you can put together a T205 set in VG-EX condition without too much trouble EXCEPT for ....Hoblitzell no stats, Moran stray line, Joss, Gray and the Wallace variations. Minor leaguers are a bit tougher but available.<BR>Good luck..<BR>Alan

Archive
02-22-2003, 11:01 AM
Posted By: <b>kyle lentine</b><p>Jeff I just completed the T205 set recently, well what I call a complete set, less the Hoblitzell no stats. My set is basically in Vg+ to vg/ex with a few higher and lower.<BR>The cards I had the most difficulty with were the Wallace (no cap, one line of stats), Moran (stray line of stats), Chase (one ear) and definatly the Joss.<BR>Believe it or not people dont realize that the Hoblitzell (name incorrect, no Cin variation) is much more difficult that the book suggests.<BR>They list the Hoblitzell (Cin variation) as the second most difficult Hoblitzell but I think others will agree it is the name incorrect version with no Cin, where his name is spelled Hoblitzel.<BR>Unless I have missed something I have only seen one of those on ebay in the last 3-4 years.<BR>I dont know what your situation is, but this set took me over 5 years to put together in a decent condition and I still would like an upgrade on the Wallace (one line stats) and the Chase (one ear)<BR>Good luck with it

Archive
02-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Jerry</b><p>Jeff, you will have the time of your life assembling a T205 set, which in my opinion, is the most beautiful set ever produced. I have completed one, including all of the variations and am about 8 short of a second complete set.<BR><BR>The toughest card is the Hobby no stats. I would add A.P. Leifield to those listed by the other posters. The toughest back is Drum with Hindu a close second.<BR><BR>Good luck and enjoy the adventure.