PDA

View Full Version : 19th Century Question

Archive
02-12-2003, 05:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Albie O'Hanian</b><p>I am slowly trying to complete a Hall of Fame collection. I have one 19th century card to date-a Tobin Lithograph card of Tim Keefe that I bought from Frank Ward. I do not care what set the card is from as long as I have a card of that player. My grading criteria is G/VG or better but the card front must have decent eye appeal. The price guides I use have really low prices for 19th century material relative to what actual selling prices are and I seldom win a card in auction (either my bids are too low or I leave it until the last minute and am unable to bid). My question: What sets will be the easiest for me to find Hall of Famers?(old judges, tobins, mayos, ginters etc.) Also, I know of very few vintage dealers that sell cards directly and not in auction. Julie mentioned Terry Knouse before and I know Frank Ward, who else is good for 19th century material?<BR>Thanks<BR>Albie

Archive
02-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>I believe that 19thcentury.org is closing up an auction in the next day or two that might be a good source of material, too...

Archive
02-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>The Tobin's are reltively inexpensive (I said relatively), and contain some more HOFers. For a cheapo, there's the 'Baby' King Kelly and 'Baby' Cap Anson Comic Trade Cards. Keep your eye on the non-sport trade card section of eBay for those.<BR><BR>Though this doesn't count as cards, you get get original 19th century Harper's and Leslie's Woodcuts that are relatively inexpensive and contain a wide vareity of tough 19th century HOFers, including the Wright Brothers, Cal McVey and Al Spalding.

Archive
02-12-2003, 09:22 PM
Posted By: <b>B C Daniels</b><p>and go back to the other board!

Archive
02-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>N28s are cheaper than Old Judges, but Old Judges are by far the most plentiful<BR><BR>By the way, comntact Mark Macrae (MMa3026559@aol.com) for some really cheap Old Judges that have problems (like the one I just traded to Ben--but even cheaper), which he's bought from me over the years. All HOFers.