PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Security Update

Archive
02-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>Did anyone else get the ebay security update? It looks legit, but I am not sure any more.<BR><BR>Lee

Archive
02-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>Don't click on any links from any email that purports to be from eBay. There is a very clever hacker out there who is designing emails to steal credit card information. Another gem these mentally challenged cretins have devised is to try and change your ebay password. Be sure that everyone here has a password for ebay that is totally dissimilar to your name, cards, etc. One day about 6 months ago I bet I got 10 emails from ebay asking did I really want to change my password because some jackass was trying everything with tbob, "bob," "arkansas", "vintage," etc.

Archive
02-11-2003, 11:00 AM
Posted By: <b>ockday</b><p>I got it today..and last week I got the credit card was declined email. It appears to be a big scam so DON"T reply to any of these emails!<BR><BR>Alan

Archive
02-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>NO! THEY GET YOUR ID & PASSWORD AND THEN HAVE ACCESS TO THE CREDIT CARD OR BAND ACCOUNT # YOU HAVE ON FILE WITH EBAY.<BR><BR>DO NOT RESPOND TO THAT EMAIL!!!!!

Archive
02-11-2003, 11:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>The rule of thumb is when getting any kind of email like this asking you to update your information, is to not use the links in the email. Instead, go to the web site (ebay, paypal, other), as you you normally would (i.e. type in the browser's address bar www.ebay.com), log in there and do anything you need to do from there. Many of the fraudulent emails are trying to get you to go to fake sites via their email links. If you go to your site 'manually' there won't be a problem.