PDA

View Full Version : vintage card restoration/recolorization

Archive
02-04-2003, 05:39 AM
Posted By: <b>freunpe</b><p>I know that many in hobby consider card restoration taboo, but I have some old cards that I would like to have restored to help bring out some of the original color, etc. Does anybody know who does this? Is there somebody who is in the business of card restoration?

Archive
02-04-2003, 09:13 AM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>BMWSports recently sold some cards restored by this gentleman.<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2944&item=1987188705" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2944&item=1987188705</a><BR><BR>Not sure if this is the same person that (I believe) used to advertise his services in VCBC.

Archive
02-04-2003, 09:49 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay Miller</b><p>There was some pretty impressive bidding on that lot--out of seven bids three were made by an unregistered user and three by BJGIRL. Enough said on the latter.

Archive
02-04-2003, 11:15 AM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>I used to have the link for Gone With the Stain but lost it in a computer crash a couple of years ago. Anyone have it? MW?

Archive
02-04-2003, 12:13 PM
Posted By: <b>darthshoeless</b><p>Can you tell the difference, I have never seen a restored card. If so, how and is it real noticable? Any input would be great. Thanks.

Archive
02-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Most restoration is easy to identify if you know what to look for. Also, realize that professional restoration is not cheap, and is restored for primo items.

Archive
02-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Charlie</b><p>will show rebuilt corners, added colors etc. One can be bought for a few dollars in a store or on ebay. It's a great item to have. Good to use to check card buys from ebay.

Archive
02-04-2003, 12:41 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>MW? Curious to know if the only way you knew this was restored was from the customer him/herself or if it was clear under blacklight that it was restored?

Archive
02-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Glen V</b><p>While paintings are restored all the time, restoring a card seems like taboo. I can see the views against doing a hack job to make some extra money. However some rare cards should be restored/cleaned up - the fire damaged Darby Chocolates for instance, that will probably fall apart soon unless 'fixed'.<BR><BR>I've heard that restoration experts keep improving their techniques and guard their methods. Anyone want to bet that they aren't working on solutions that beat the black light test?

Archive
02-04-2003, 04:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>There is a variety of complimenting techniques and methods for the identification of restoration, and it would be essentially impossible for even the most sophisticated forger or restorer to 'beat all the tests.' Even the best restorer or forger learns the figurative meaning of Heisenberg's Principal of Uncertainty. The same techniques used to beat one test, invariably will make other tests fail. Most of the qualities-- fluorescence, ir, etc-- are not independant to each other. When one changes the fluorescence, for example, one will simultaneously be changing other qualities.

Archive
02-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>Jay,<BR><BR>For the record, our eBay auctions are 100% legitimate. I am not sure what you are inferring by your statements, but we always check low-feedback bidders. If there are problems, we always cancel their bids. We have done this on many occasions. As for the bidder who is not currently registered, that happened after the auction ended and was an administrative action -- we had no control over it. Also, if you knew who either of these two bidders were, I don't think you would be making such reckless accusations. Finally, do you really believe that there aren't dozens of interested buyers in this card at $1500 or more?<BR><BR>I'm not quite sure why you are trying to imply something is not right here. Have we ever said anything bad about you or done anything wrong to you? What's up?

Archive
02-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>Tom,<BR><BR>Both. Here's a link to some more information on the subject:<BR><BR><a href="http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=cards&Number=99991&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1">Discussion of UV source on SGC forum </a>

Archive
02-09-2003, 08:30 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>It really did a good job of describing how restoration is done, featuring an interview with Daniel Paul of Rags to Riches Restorations, and a Darby Chocolates Mordecai Brown "test case", with before and after pictures. It also showed restorations of the back of another Nagurski, a t206 Piedmont back, a '33 Ruth front, and a SK Cobb front. Since that issue is tough to find, it might be an article worth reprinting.

Archive
02-09-2003, 08:55 AM
Posted By: <b>RBCraik@aol.com</b><p>If anyone is interested, I have portable blacklights available, new in box, for $25 delivered US Priority Mail (Paypal OK.) They have a 6" tube, operate on AA Batteries & have a plug in for AC adapter (adapter not included.) These are great for detecting card alterations & also work well on hotel bedspreads! I have several available and YES Brian, thank you for selling them to me two years ago.<BR>