PDA

View Full Version : News Release about WIWAG from Attorney's office

Archive
02-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Albie O'Hanian</b><p><a href="http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/cas/cas30117.1.htm" target=_new>http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/cas/cas30117.1.htm</a><BR><BR>

Archive
02-05-2003, 01:37 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I hope they do serious time.

Archive
02-05-2003, 01:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Julian</b><p>Isn't that great? Justice served. How arrogant they must have been. They(WIWAG) would have continued on their felonious ways, and then, a brain cramp. Done in by their own genious.

Archive
02-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Charlie</b><p>I think the reason people even take a chance doing things like this is what it says at the bottom of the letter. Maximum...5 years. What will they really serve if convicted? 1 or 2 years? Seems to me if the max was 25 years these guys would have had second thoughts...Because you still have to get caught! How much money has been socked away from the evil doings awaiting their release from the country club? The laws are too lenient...they really suck!

Archive
02-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>Why would they do this to cards that have only a limited quanity? Much Easier to Catch.<BR><BR>Gee Mike W., They may be the king of the DUNDERHEADS!!!

Archive
02-05-2003, 02:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Todd (nolemmings)</b><p>how this works with the imited quantity stuff? I initially though that the PSA label would have the card's serial number on it, and that someone could easily spot it when the label didn't match the card. When I spent 3-5 minutes on Ebay, however, I learned that these serial numbered cards are not identified by their serial numbers on the PSA labels, so it may not be as obvious as you would think. I suppose that something would stink if there were only 10 or so made and a PSA pop report shows 25 graded, but other than that scenario, how would you catch these guys?<BR>Regards............Todd

Archive
02-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Posted By: <b>PSA KID</b><p>My guess is they'll get off with a slap on the wrist. Probably a fine and probation. Especially in light of the fact that they plead guilty and are probably cooperating with law enforcement.

Archive
02-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I am no lawyer or judge but my best guess is if they are convicted, and it is their first felony offense, they will get probation. In cases like this I would think that probation is given in the lion's share of cases ( I really think in ALL cases but don't want to say that). The fine is another story....they could face a steep one thereby negating their ill-gotten profits....at least I hope that's the case...best regards

Archive
02-05-2003, 08:57 PM
Posted By: <b>marty</b><p>Mail Fraud, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1341<BR>Maximum Penalty (for individuals): 5 yrs. in custody and/or $250,000 fine<BR>Maximum Penalty (for corporation): $1 million fine<BR><BR>They were incorprated, so it looks like a fine only.

Archive
02-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>The corporation won't go to fail because it can't. But the people running the corporation certainly can. The fact that their business was a corporation won't spare them. But I agree with everyone else that jail is unlikely.

Archive
02-05-2003, 10:06 PM
Posted By: <b>Charlie</b><p>If there is a fine imposed where does that money go?

Archive
02-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian H</b><p>There is something (I can't quite put my finger on it) ironic about the card at issue being of a Portland Trailblazer.

Archive
02-05-2003, 10:45 PM
Posted By: <b>JC</b><p>Don't do the CRIME if you can't do the TIME. I met them at the Atlanta Nationals a few years ago. I helped them with a mail-order network. They installed everything, and said they would take care of me. Well I hope that promise does'nt come true

Archive
02-06-2003, 09:06 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>1. The indictment charged the individuals and the company, so the possibility of jail is there for the individuals. However, because they pled out their crime to single counts of each felony, they are likely to receive probation and a fine, plus freeway cleaning, er, community service. However, because of the nature of the crime, I expect that an element of their plea was an accounting of all fraudulent PSA holders they sold plus sale of their assets to make restitution to the purchasers. I'd not be surprised to see a restitution order as part of the plea bargain. <BR><BR>2. Any fine would go to the government. If they have substantial assets and a suitable plaintiff can be found I would expect a civil action aimed at them to be filed. Hell, I'd be willing to represent a plaintiff if there is anyone out there who got burned on this. Once they admit to a felony, the case itself is a slam dunk (the admission of guilt in a criminal case is stronger than any other admission).