PDA

View Full Version : Are These Graded Cards Trimmed

Archive
01-27-2003, 01:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>The borders on these two 1933 Goudeys look real narrow, especially on the Vaughan card. Do you think they could be trimmed? What is the reputation of CSA, who graded the cards? Any information or opinions you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31721&item=2703268224&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31721&item=2703268224&rd=1</a>

Archive
01-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Nick</b><p>The borders on these cards are not usually all that wide. These cards don't look that far off.<BR><BR>I will say it is tough to judge based on these pictures.<BR><BR>My experience with CSA has not been good. I bought two cards(55 bowmans) graded seven and both were trimmed. I bought them from a dealer with out first viewing a photo.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Nick

Archive
01-27-2003, 05:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>I don't know who's in it besides Gerringer. CSA, a dealer who sold me a '84 Fleer Update Clemens 2 years ago in one of their holders told me, doesn't mean anything. It might as well not be graded.

Archive
01-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Drum</b><p>I have bought 2 T227s (Baker & Bender) off ebay in CSA holders. Both were graded @ CSA4. I had them reslabbed by SGC and they were graded an equivalent of a 3. Bottom line, my cards were not trimmed by overgraded by a full grade.

Archive
01-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Posted By: <b>Charlie</b><p>I've had a few cards from CSA graded by SGC and they were also graded a grade less on some...but no other problems.

Archive
01-27-2003, 10:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>The Goslin looks fine; Size wise the Vaughan looks a bit narrow, but could be within variance. It's hard to tell without seeing it in person. Most of the Goudeys that don't have the Big League banner on the bottom tend to have smaller borders on all four sides.

Archive
01-28-2003, 08:52 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I bought a 1954 CSA 7 Williams that was solid; "old" PSA gave it a 7.<BR><BR>I bought a 1953 Spahn CSA 7 that was doctored. Took a big loss.<BR><BR>They're not PRO, but they are pretty incompetent. CSA expressly disclaims all warranties on its work, so it is a waste of space in my view. See VCBC #30. I would not buy another CSA card unless (1) I got to examine it myself or had a return privilege, and (2) the price was considerably below market.

Archive
01-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Posted By: <b>Mike Williams</b><p>I bought a CSA 6 E98 Cobb (Blue) a few years back via mail order. Broke it out of its holder upon arrival and submitted it to SGC (Merkle to be exact). It was rejected due to being altered (i.e. built up corners and recolored). Needless to say, I took a big hit.

Archive
01-28-2003, 12:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Albie O'Hanian</b><p>CSA was started in the mid-90's by a couple of University students in Ohio who bought the rights from Alan Hager (or so Hager told me). Going by his published standards vintage cards would probably grade one to two grades lower with PSA or SGC. I do not imagine they would have had much if any experience detecting trimmed or doctored cards. Buyer Beware.

Archive
01-28-2003, 12:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Albie O'Hanian</b><p>hager's published standards were different by era. So assuming CSA was above board a CSA 5 would be the equivalent of a PSA 3 or at best 4.

Archive
01-29-2003, 06:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian C Daniels</b><p>was actually an E-93 pose-cut out and laminated to the blue background of an E-98*. I know because again,a dealer mentioned many times as being the source in his auctions of bogus stuff is where that cards problems were first noticed.

Archive
01-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>At least with Bush, you know...unfortunately.

Archive
01-29-2003, 07:34 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>I liked it much better than the official "Democratic response" - it was much shorter.

Archive
01-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>Thanks for all of your comments.<BR><BR>Paul