PDA

View Full Version : On Line Grading Garbage

Archive
12-30-2002, 07:01 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>We all had a good laugh a few months ago when we learned of an "on line" grading service. You send them a scan of your card, and they grade it. Well, check out this fine piece of work. It's hard to understand how it would escape a grader's notice, even if he was working only with a scan (which is all I'm working with). My only question is why a reprint isn't well centered.<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1985858000&category=31721" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1985858000&category=31721</a>

Archive
12-30-2002, 07:24 PM
Posted By: <b>quan</b><p>i'm bored waiting for leon's auctions to end...i'll make a bid and see what the seller says.

Archive
12-30-2002, 10:13 PM
Posted By: <b>David Williams</b><p>Considering the scan/online grading says reprint on it...

Archive
12-31-2002, 11:42 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>...that grading a card from a scan is ridiculous. But, the scan on eBay says reprint on the OGS holder (from what I can see) so I'm not sure what the other problem is. Is it because it's off-center?<BR><BR>Still, this grading technique leaves a lot to be desired.

Archive
01-01-2003, 12:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>You folks are right. I didn't see the word "reprint" on the holder. The scan is so small that I missed it. So I guess the problem here isn't the grader, but the seller. He makes no mention of the fact that the card is a reprint, and even includes the following statement to convince everyone that it's not:<BR><BR>"All serious collectors need this to add to there collection, hard to find this one of Babe"

Archive
01-01-2003, 01:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>graded PSA --6, I think, no qualifiers. Except mine was well-centered. Blindingly white borders, fresh print on the back, perfect corners. Mark Macrae wouldn't give me a dime for it. It did not SAY reprint, on the card or the holder.<BR><BR>That's when i sort of lost interest in E-Bay. Seller had somehow "dimmed" THE CARD TO make the scan look more normal.