PDA

View Full Version : FREE EBAY LISTING DAY

Archive
12-27-2002, 07:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay Miller&nbsp; </b><p>I just noticed this morning that all U.S. ebay listings today have the insertion fee waived. I only noticed because Mike Wheat has hundreds of items listed in the pre-1930 category.

Archive
12-27-2002, 07:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert</b><p>Mike Wheat is not the only one. There are a few people who have listed many items. But the worst is there are NO SCANS of the cards. I have seen a Magie Error with BIN of 24,000 with NO SCAN. Are these people crazy or do they think we are stupid? Every day gets more depressing. You look for cards in 1930 and before and find all kinds of things. Not only cards form 1930 but 1940,1950,1960 all the way two 2003. And that paper junk, they should have a place for people to list that S--T. Getting Disgusted. Rob

Archive
12-27-2002, 08:12 PM
Posted By: <b>quan</b><p>Maybe some sellers don't have time to post scans yet. They'll try to take advantage of the free listing day and add a picture in later.

Archive
12-27-2002, 08:57 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>very much the case. It's quick and easy to write the copy, but a good scan takes a little time. And if someone is seriously interested in an item with no scan, they will come back later if the seller says there will be one posted later. I know I would<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
12-27-2002, 11:20 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Does Wheat actually sell anything? I don't think I have ever seen a a bid placed on any of his auctions. He makes Kit Young's prices look reasonable<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
12-28-2002, 07:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Albie O'Hanian</b><p>Jay-I was wondering the same thing. He has some 1948 Bowman basketball cards I need but his prices are practically double what they sell for.

Archive
12-28-2002, 09:43 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>From a business perspective, I understand all of the reasons for doing it. Ebay makes out on the final value fees, sellers are happy if anything sells since it is all placed risk-free. Since I sell, I threw up everything I had previously listed but had not sold. <BR><BR>Besides, Wheat's listings are hilarious, Monty Pythonesque stuff. I mean those prices. . . <BR><BR>What I can't stand is all the paper garbage that keeps getting misclassified as old cards. I just do not understand why ebay dings me if I so much as fail to list a PSA qualifier in a title but lets this scrap crap get listed as cards week after week.

Archive
12-28-2002, 10:40 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>another one that gets me is that in the adverstizing section under tin signs, there is a replica catagory. I can't imagine that there are more replaica tin signs being offered than replica baseball cards.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
12-28-2002, 12:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>It might be nice create a reprint section for vintage cards. And the main catch is that if you don't know whether or not it's genuine, you have to put it into the reprint section. A "I don't know, could be real could be treasure" description automatically gets booted to the reprint section. Once a seller has determined that it's genuine, then you are allowed to put it in the regular section. The T206 Honus Wagners automatically start in the reprint section until the seller has legitimate proof.<BR><BR>This won't happen for a variety of reasons, including that it would be difficult to monitor by eBay, and there would be sticky issues. And I only think eBay creates new categories that are going to be money makers.<BR><BR>

Archive
12-28-2002, 01:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>A lot of people have said that eBay should only allow trading cards in the trading card section, but I don't think that would be desirable and would have problems. This obviously has to do with AAA. The problem is that I can image many non-card items that fit well into the trading cards, including pins and silks and the Fans for a Fan. I think Mickey Mantle's Topps contract would fit well in the category, as would cigarette packs and Topps advertising posters. A book about the history of Topps would fit in well.<BR><BR>Also there is the impossible (I repeat, impossible)issue about what is and what is not a card. Is a Darby a card? Many King Kelly Cabinet Cards, which would fit well in the card category, aren't trading cards. I bet some people on this board would call a Fatima Premium and others would not. I know some on this board who say an Old Judge Cabinet Card is not a trading card. Is a Topps insert decal or stamp a card? How about a T206 proof? Let's have a vote on whether or not that 1863 Hoboken Harry Wright ticket is a trading card?<BR>

Archive
12-28-2002, 01:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert</b><p>WOW, there must have been a BIG find somewhere of Wagner REPRINTS. There has to be at least no less than 25 Wagners on Ebay at this time. Unbeleiveable that so many Wagners could be found in one place. And to make it even more rare is that they are all on Ebay at the same time. Boy are we not lucky that there is an Ebay. LOL Rob

Archive
12-28-2002, 01:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert</b><p>Hey Jay you spoke to soon. Kit has put up a whole bunch of items and they are not cheap. Rob