PDA

View Full Version : Consigning items

Archive
12-05-2002, 08:43 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Any thoughts on which auction houses to consign items to? I've only ever used ebay or sold off-line, but I have a few items that don't fit the "ebay mentality".<BR><BR>The obvious answer would be to sell through the same auctions you buy from, but there are other factors such as seller fees, payment, etc. Also, some auctions will handle lower-dollar items, while others prefer a value above a certain minimum requirement.<BR><BR>Thoughts?<br><br>

Archive
12-05-2002, 10:28 AM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>Scott- I can't speak for others but I have done better selling lots individually (card by card) through ebay then through any of the auction houses. Maybe because I have been around for a while and have around 2500 positive feedbacks, I get more people bidding than Joe Newbie who puts his cards on ebay for the first time. Still, I broke up a near set of cards and sold them individually a few years ago and made twice what I could have made consigning the lot, I truly believe. If you look at the trimmed E98s on ebay, you'll see that the seller is going to double or maybe even triple what he paid for them from Lipset's auction, simply because he is selling them card by card. <BR>On the other hand, if you have a valuable oddball or unique item, you might want to go with Mastro as eBay is really flighty when it comes to these items. I have had great success and stunning failures when it comes to selling these things on eBay. You just never know, timing is everything on eBay...

Archive
12-05-2002, 11:13 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian C Daniels</b><p>Tom,who is a hot topic from "political galleries" is a good option.Look at all the supporters he has gotten just in two days of him as a topic! Sloate& Smolin maybe a worthy place.T-bob is right about the trimmed up E-98's but I think it is an exception due to the desireability of the "blue" variations on the M-116's!

Archive
12-05-2002, 11:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay Miller</b><p>Scott-Alot depends on the value of the item. A T206 Wagner should go to Mastro. On other items I would recommend Jerry Smolin or Lew Lipset. I would not use Slater yet. I would want to see how the first auction goes. Let someone else be the guinea pig.

Archive
12-05-2002, 12:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom</b><p>just remember with ebay you have control over what reserve there is and with auctions like Mastro you don't. With ebay you can try it out and if it doesn't work, you can re-run it.........just options.......you don't have same with other auction houses.

Archive
12-06-2002, 05:25 PM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>I agree with Jay Miller completely! super quality and/or super expensive, Mastro. Vintage rare and off grade, Lew Lipset is the greatest for this! If it is a Wagner, mail it to me, I will call you from islands and let you know how I am doing with auctioning it off for you.

Archive
12-06-2002, 07:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Jaime Leiderman</b><p>I would use a well known small auction, like Lipset, Sloate or Smolin.<BR><BR>Your item can get lost between another 1000+ lots in a Mastro Auction.<BR>

Archive
12-06-2002, 08:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>if anything's getting lost at Mastro, I haven't bid on it. Cheech. Smolin is great to bid in, but, by the same token, I hope some of my stuff can go to Mastro. Depends on whether you're selling or buying, doesn't it?