PDA

View Full Version : Slater's Americana

Archive
12-04-2002, 10:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom</b><p>Anyone deal with them in the past? They were Slater's Americana and then just Tom Slater auctions (the principle owner). Just received a letter from them that 'THEY'RE BACK' as they stated on the letter. If you haven't dealt with them, they used to do some nice sports auctions about 3-4 years ago going back from there. Generally they had b/w newsprint catalogs although they were about 1/2 inch thick with quite a few lots. Mostly memorabilia and autographs but they also often had nice vintage cards including T206, Goudey's, E cards and others. Was able to get some decent deals in the past (although we all know those are DEFINITELY a thing of the past). Also Known As (AKA) The Political Gallery at one time.<BR><BR>Anyway, for those interested, their info is:<BR><BR>Slater's Americana<BR>5335 North Tacoma Avenue<BR>Suite 24<BR>Indianapolis, IN 46220<BR>(317)257-0863 (PH)<BR>(317)254-9167 (FX)<BR>slater@indy.net<BR>www.slatersamericana.com<BR><BR>Looks like the website is up with a current auction for political mdse and a couple previous auctions in Sept and October.<BR><BR>************** THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF SLATER'S AMERICANA*************<BR>************** I'm in NO WAY associated with them *************<BR><BR>Just wanted new people in the hobby since they were doing auctions to know about it. There's a lot of people on the BB who've only been collecting last 2-4 years and may have missed their auctions.

Archive
12-04-2002, 01:36 PM
Posted By: <b>Jaime Leiderman</b><p>I used to bid in Tomīs auctions from 1993 till 1997.<BR><BR>Auctions were like a memorabilia flea market, there were lots for everybody.<BR>It was like having all the memorabilia/cards section from eBay in one printed b/w catalog.<BR><BR>Some of the items I won back then:<BR><BR>Just So Tobacco Virtue (Ex-NrMt): $1.5k<BR>N167 Connor (G): $500<BR>2 auto Yankees baseballs with both Ruth and Gehrig<BR>Every T200 Fatimas<BR><BR><BR>If anyone's interested in researching lots and realized prices from those auctions, please let me know.<BR>

Archive
12-04-2002, 03:21 PM
Posted By: <b>NickTWo</b><p><BR> I talk to Tom about a year ago on phone.He did mention there were going to make a come back "when" was question, then. I still enjoy going back to the catalogs and finding alot of material. It was the eBay of the early 90`s. Low and high end material for great prices. Can`t wait till the sports memorabilia starts up.<BR><BR>NickTwo

Archive
12-04-2002, 05:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Patrick McMenemy</b><p>The Political Gallary (a.k.a.Slater's Americana) was the first auction catalog I received when I started collecting in the early 1990's. I use to get their sports catalog, Lew Lipsett's "Four Base Hits," and my weekly SCD. THAT'S HOW THE ADDITION BEGAN! <BR><BR>They had a great selection of early cards and memorabilia. The two N-284s that I recently used in a trade/cash deal with Terry Knouse for my NR MINT Gibson W600, I won in their auction. Their catalog, together with Lew's catalog, helped ignite my passion for early baseball cards and memorabilia in the Pre-EBAY era. Thanks for the post!

Archive
12-04-2002, 05:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Albie O'Hanian</b><p>Thanks for the post. Any idea when they are going to start up with sports memorabilia. I won a few of their items in the past and I was always amazed by the variety.

Archive
12-04-2002, 09:00 PM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>"The Political Gallary" is back. Now there is a blast from the past. I used to bid in their auctions as well. <BR><BR>Matter of fact they were the first place where I bought cards using the aucton process. Funny thing is I HATED buying that way. I thought the idea wouldn't catch on. Shows you what I know.

Archive
12-04-2002, 09:59 PM
Posted By: <b>B.C.Daniels</b><p>I won tons of e-cards including three horizontal Matty's in Near Mint ( Dan ,where were you? ) for less than $600 each. I won and lost lots of stuff that would bring big coin now and I suspect T-Bob was the guy keeping me up at night as they instituted the call back system in 1993*