PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Player? I have to disagree

Archive
11-21-2002, 06:29 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>but let's hear from the experts. The current ebay rage in the vintage photo area seems to be turning firemen, jockeys, dancers, tiddly-winks players...into baseball players !?! (they probably wished they were!) <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=737865849" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=737865849</a><br><br>

Archive
11-21-2002, 08:33 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><BR><BR> Hi Scott<BR> The description actually says: " a young ball player in his new uniform", what it doesn't say is what type of ball he is playing. Judging by his uniform I would guess Handball, Kickball, or my personal favorite dodgeball. <BR> If the seller really wanted to tie the photo to baseball this would be a better description:<BR>The first Centerfold of a Baseball player, right down to his sliding pants. Maybe he's one of Jim Palmer's ancestors? later brian

Archive
11-21-2002, 08:35 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><BR><BR> Hi Scott<BR> The description actually says: " a young ball player in his new uniform", what it doesn't say is what type of ball he is playing. Judging by his uniform I would guess Handball, Kickball, or my personal favorite dodgeball. <BR> If the seller really wanted to tie the photo to baseball this would be a better description:<BR>The first Centerfold of a Baseball player, right down to his sliding pants. Maybe he's one of Jim Palmer's ancestors? later brian

Archive
11-21-2002, 08:39 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><BR> Sorry for the double posting, I don't know what happened. I do know that it's been a "doubley" strange week, 2 buyers sent double payments to me through Paypal this week, too bad I'm not getting double my reserves on autions. later brian

Archive
11-21-2002, 08:40 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>.<br><br>

Archive
11-21-2002, 08:50 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><BR> Hi Scott<BR> I know, but for my joke I used the description. <BR> On second thought with those super high socks, he could be kin to Chipper Jones. later brian <BR>

Archive
11-21-2002, 08:54 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Some kind of odd theme party? Whatever he was involved in I don't want to know about.<br><br>

Archive
11-21-2002, 09:02 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><BR>I agree, You don't see many old photos with men in shorts and long stockings, but think of the awful clothes that mothers dress their kids in. It reminds me of Ralphie's bunny costume in the Movie A Christmas story, what a nightmare. brian

Archive
11-21-2002, 09:03 AM
Posted By: <b>Jaime Leiderman</b><p>Looks like a jockey to me...

Archive
11-21-2002, 10:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Tom</b><p>jockey. The hat looks way more like a jockey's hat that a baseball cap of the same period. Of course, a ball or bat or catcher's mask would make the identification pretty simple. I've got a bunch of these cabinet photos and I try to stay towards people who have specific uniforms on or with equipment as it's just difficult sometimes to tell the firemen photos from baseball without equipment. They do look amazingly alike. Where's Mark Rucker when you need him..........?

Archive
11-21-2002, 01:02 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>Turning turning gymnasts and ballet dancers into baseball players has been common practice for a while. Considering the huge premium for baseball players, this is known as wishful thinking.<BR><BR>To cast out doubt, I look for a baseball or other equipment. If a man is in tuxedo and holding a baseball in his hand, I call it a baseball photograph.

Archive
11-21-2002, 02:44 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>...if this guy was holding a baseball I would assume he was planning to use it for something other than baseball...possibly as a prop in some sort of "baseball-related" ballet.

Archive
11-21-2002, 03:20 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>I should have used the phrase 'baseball or baseball related'