PDA

View Full Version : Question for Bob Lemke...RE: SCD Guide

Archive
11-17-2002, 01:41 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>Bob: First of all, I love the SCD Guide. Unquestionably one of the bibles in my life.<BR><BR>Is there any chance that the next ones could be broken out into a "Vintage Guide" and a "Post War" guide? I'd probably buy both anyway, but it sure would make the research easier. (Perhaps one thing "in the middle" would be to still make one large guide but break it into the two sections...)<BR><BR>Bob...again, this is not a criticism, I love the book and info. Just an interest/request...it is more of a research guide than anything else, and it would be immensely easier to use.<BR><BR>-dan

Archive
11-17-2002, 01:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>Krause did have a vintage only book one year, and it was something of a disaster -- pages were missing, printed out of order, etc. I'm not sure why and I'm sure the problem could be corrected.<BR><BR>I agree a vintage only book would be great. However, I'd recommend 1980 as the cut off date. I suspect that less than 5% of all cards listed in the current book are pre-1945. So, basically, you'd be creating a magazine and a book nearly as large as the current book. That probably doesn't make much sense from the publisher's point of view.<BR><BR>Paul

Archive
11-17-2002, 02:09 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>This was asked of Bob some time before. He stated, at the time, that there wasn't a market for two books, in particular a vintage edition. Realize, that Krause is a big time publisher, and they will only publish books and magazines that sell big time. While they may respect books like Lew Lipset's Encyclopedia, these types of books do not sell well, at least for a big publisher.<BR><BR>This is why I beleive that board members should do their best to support the shoestring publishers like VCBC and Gridiron Greats. Those who don't subscribe or otherwise participate in these types of small publications don't have a right, after the publications go under, to complain about the lack of choices on the market.<BR><BR>

Archive
11-17-2002, 02:15 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>Despite being the 800 lb gorilla, I think Krause has issued some fine books, including those that Bob has been involved with. So, I have complaints about Krause/SCD and what they issue.

Archive
11-17-2002, 02:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>to see how all the modern rookies have fallen. By the way, I bought a '84 Fleer Update Puckett today, and Davesdougout wanted $100 for it. SCD lists it for $80,. but they told me Beckett says $100. Besides they happened to know I HAD the 100...<BR><BR>Along with the Puckett, I got a free 8-pack of Topps 206, series 2. DREADFUL pictures, though you couldn't improve on the (modern) player choice. But the guys all looked like they'd been cut out of something else and pasted on the fields they were on. The backs look like save-the-earth cardboard--completely uncolored, with black printing. No special cards of any sort in MY 8-pack...<BR><BR>Bob suggested that we tear the big SCD in half, and have the vintage part "comb bound," but I don't know what that is...

Archive
11-17-2002, 05:04 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>...have all taken dives.<BR><BR>I did what Julie suggested with the 2002 Guide, and after just getting a look at the 2003 at the bookstore today, it has a nice "break point" as well - just be sure to save the "refractor section" in case you need to reference a minor league issue that you forget to tear out.<BR><BR>I'm perfectly happy with VCBC as our hobby journal, Beckett's vintage for autographs, reading and non-baseball card prices, Bob Lemke's Price Guide, Lipset's Guide...but there is one major hole in the vintage publication area: vintage collectibles - the Krause and Beckett's publications are very sub-par. If anyone on the board has any influence as to what goes in these paper-weights, and would welcome suggestions, send me an e-mail - I have plenty of ideas.<br><br>

Archive
11-17-2002, 10:23 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>&lt;&lt; So, I have complaints about Krause/SCD and what they issue. &gt;&gt;<BR><BR>I meant to say, 'I have NO complaints about Krause/SCD and what they issue.' They have a fine library of books, and I wasn't criticizing. <BR><BR>Capice?

Archive
11-18-2002, 09:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>I got several requests to dog-nap your puppie, ferret-collar and all, until you retracted that comment! <BR><BR>lol...

walpert
03-01-2016, 07:53 PM
I am trying to put together a 1936 Goudey Wide Pen Premium Type 1 set. In the Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball Cards, it shows that a complete set of Type 1 cards is 120 cards; however, in the listing of individual cards there is no number 112. It goes from 111 Buck Walters to number 113 Paul Waner. Does anyone know what the missing card could be?

insidethewrapper
03-01-2016, 08:17 PM
According to oldcardboard.com. it is Lloyd Waner.
http://www.oldcardboard.com/r/r314/r314gal.asp