PDA

View Full Version : other card collecting interests?

Archive
11-14-2002, 10:57 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Old topic, but I'm slowly collecting '55 Bowman football HOF'ers in ex+ or better condition. I used to collect the '55 Topps All-Americans as well, but re-allocated that resource. <br><br>

Archive
11-14-2002, 11:03 AM
Posted By: <b>B C Daniels</b><p>I used to collect John Deere tractors. But now I collect coins because cards are to hot and pricey! lol*

Archive
11-14-2002, 02:14 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>1920s-30s Motion Picture Real Photo Postcards

Archive
11-14-2002, 02:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Ben</b><p>I used to be really into vintage hockey (how can you blame me, I'm Canadian) but I've sold myself out of that so that I can focus on prewar baseball. <BR><BR>I've kept most of my sentimental favorites from those days...mostly Oilers rookies since I grew up in Edmonton in the 1980's when they were dominating the NHL. Fond memories.

Archive
11-14-2002, 03:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>and it was fun while it lasted. Got to write to a german guy in german, got on Pay Pal to pay him, and had a running race with a guy named "tomguy" who's getting a huge pile of chess cards for his dad. Also got a bidding service to bid on chess card auctions that closed at 4 a.m. They weren't very expensive, except for one 19th century photo of a minor player who wrote a lot about chess.<BR><BR>I guess my favorite is a double postcard, white, with a lot of gold embossing, which was sent out from Reykyavic (TERRIBLE spelling!) Iceland as an invitation to the big world championship match between American Bobby Fisher and Russian Boris Spassky in 1972. Fisher won--and then never played another public game! Can you imagine Barry Bonds retiring after the 2002 season? (I suppose it's possible if he doesn't want to catch his godfather, and (maybe) be in another World Series)...<BR><BR>Anyway, I suddenly lost interest in getting any more, and I'm wondering if I should get an album to keep them in...

Archive
11-14-2002, 05:13 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>For the sake of the new people here I'll remind you all that I collect cards picturing Indian chiefs such as N2 Allen & Ginter Celebrated American Idian Chiefs and all the early caramel issues. I still have a fairly substantial action figure colleciton but the only new toys I buy now are the Simpsons interactive toys. I also have a large portion of my Banana Splits collection, but eventually sell it all off along with vintage Star Wars toys I found after I moved back to MN. And then there is teh ever growing DVD collection.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
11-16-2002, 04:45 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Boxing cards, especially pre-WWI cards. I collect them all: T, N, E, R, W, Exhibit, and RPPC's if they are interesting. I got into it because a distant cousin was a #1 lightweight contender in the late 1920's (Ray Miller). I found two cards of him and a few other items. I have gotten so absorbed in it that I am selling baseball cards to pay for more boxing cards and writing a book on boxing cards, since there are none of note out there.

Archive
11-16-2002, 04:56 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>drop me an email and i'll give you contact info for John Gay. there is no one else in the country more knowledgable about boxing and its memorabilia than him.<BR><BR>Jay