PDA

View Full Version : "ebay verification" email

Archive
11-11-2002, 08:05 PM
Posted By: <b>petecld&nbsp; </b><p>Has anyone else gotten an email, supposedly from ebay, titled "ebay verification"?<BR><BR>What makes me suspicious is that the mail is dated 11/11/02 ot 6:14am.<BR><BR>Nice trick considring it's still Nov. 10th where I am.<BR><BR>I have no intention of responding. Just wondering if anyone else got one?

Archive
11-11-2002, 08:07 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>no such email here, but the date stamp would indicate possibly someone in the Far East sent the email.<BR><BR>Jay

Archive
11-11-2002, 08:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff S</b><p>several people had gotten a fake e-mail. it had a couple instances of shaky grammar, but was otherwise nearly identical to a letter safeharbor sends out when it appears your contact info is wrong. (I know because I got one of the real ones when we were last discussing this.)<BR><BR>I think we figured out that whoever is sending this out was trying to steal user id/ password info -- i guess when responding to these things, it's important to pay attention to the exact top-tier URL you're directed to.

Archive
11-11-2002, 08:39 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>The key is to never send passwords or similar personal info through the email (ebay or paypal would never request it that way) and that a ebay or PayPal link would have a relevent web address (www.paypal.com/etc or www.ebay.com/etc).<BR><BR>I get a chuckle when I get email ads from 'big powerful respected century old banks', and the email is sent from a hotmail address.

Archive
11-11-2002, 08:44 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>Even through emails, you can hear an accent. I will occasionally get emails where, even if the grammar and spelling is correct, you can tell the person is not an American.

Archive
11-11-2002, 10:13 PM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>It was from sportsLV@bellsouth.net and the subject was "I think i love you" when you opened the email it was just a link which said "click me."<BR>I didn't fall off the watermelon truck yesterday...

Archive
11-13-2002, 12:49 AM
Posted By: <b>B C Daniels</b><p>Your states native son did!!!!!