PDA

View Full Version : This is the same card...

Archive
11-09-2002, 12:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>...that Henry Yee auctioned back a month ago. Same wrinkle, same scuff markings on the back.<BR><BR>Now, I am getting suspicious about this card. If it is so rare, so unique, so valuable, why is it popping up on eBay so much after it was won by someone...?<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1573992292&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1573992292&rd=1</a><BR><BR>Something's not quite right, here. I've noticed the value keeps getting lower and lower. The very first time it appeared on eBay, it went for well over $2K. Henry's auction went for just under $2K...now this BIN has it topped out at $1650.00<BR><BR>Things that make you go hmmmmm...

Archive
11-09-2002, 12:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>Here is the card/acution I'm referring to. Sorry.<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1580530682" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1580530682</a>

Archive
11-09-2002, 02:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>and also wondered what the heck is going on. If the buyter didn't pay, you would think he would put a line or two about it in the copy such as, "buyer is a deadbeat so I am having to relist it." Since he didn't, I am wondering...

Archive
11-09-2002, 02:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>...but, the buyer must have paid, because the last auction was Henry Yee's.<BR><BR>So, I'm guessing that this seller is the one who bought it from Henry, or this seller has had the recent buyer (from Henry) give it to him on consignment to auction again on eBay.<BR><BR>I'm just wondering...why resell it already if the card is "all that"?<BR><BR>Something's fishy in Factoryville....

Archive
11-10-2002, 10:01 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>...almost 2 days on eBay now and it's only up to fifty bucks. Originally, this card was up to over a grand by the end of day one.<BR><BR>It's seems to have lost a lot of its allure...and, I'll bet there's a lot more suspicion, now, after having been on eBay now so many times...

Archive
11-10-2002, 12:33 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>From the feedback and type of stuff auctioned, the seller appears legitimate. It appears as if he's simply seeing if he can make a quick profit, or maybe needs money for other investments.

Archive
11-10-2002, 12:52 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>I think this is mostly a case of an avid type (Mathewson) collector with a good memory. Despite apperances, the 'cards' are no doubt rare.<BR><BR>Many years ago when I bought a pair of Cairn Terriers, it suddenly seemed as if, where ever I went about town, Cairn Terriers were all over the place. Probably the same number of cairns existed, it's just that I didn't notice them before.<BR><BR>There's also the case of two middle aged early Heisman Trophy winner who, unknown to each other, lived in the same neighborhood. One of the man's sons came home one day dissapointed in his dad. His dad had always told him how special and rare was the Heisman Trophy on the livingroom mantle, when the father of the kid down the street had the same trophy on his mantle.

Archive
11-11-2002, 08:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian C Daniels</b><p>and come to think of it, why is this card not graded by either yet???

Archive
11-11-2002, 08:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff S</b><p>...but ebay has all but stopped enforcing. For a while, I think, they were pretty vigilant. But I just won a lot of 3 trashed E103s with "T-206," "BGS" and "PSA" in the title. Needless to say, none of those three terms applied to the auction.

Archive
11-11-2002, 10:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>So...I asked the seller that question via eBay message:<BR><BR>i've talked about this card and auction to several professional collectors lately. many questions keep coming up, but one in particular I'd like to ask: your auction heading lists PSA and SGC in the Title/Heading. If this card is not graded by either PSA or SGC (in fact, it's not been graded at all), then why is PSA and SGC listed in the heading? Am I missing something? -dan <BR><BR>If I get a reply back, I'll put it here so we can see what he says in reply...

Archive
11-12-2002, 05:57 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>I asked him why he put "PSA" in tht title when it wasn't graded and he responded very quickly by email, telling me that it was so he would get more hits! Lots of nerve some people have.<br><br>

Archive
11-12-2002, 08:15 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>WHY WOULD ANYONE WORRY ABOUT THAT??? <BR><BR>YOU PUT PSA IN YOUR TITLE ON EBAY BECAUSE IT DRAWS HITS. <BR><BR>So, I responded with:<BR><BR>Because it is misrepresentation and it violates eBay policy...that’s why people are asking the question. Thanks. I’ll post your reply on the bulletin boards where the collectors are discussing this auction. -dan<BR><BR>I guess some people think it's ok to pull this kinda crap on eBay...or anywhere else where they're trying to make a buck... <BR><BR>

Archive
11-12-2002, 08:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>...where it is due!<BR><BR>He and I chatted back and forth quite a bit earlier today. He did decide (on his own) to pull/cancel his auction and relist without reference to PSA or SGC. He has canceled the auction. My hat's off to him...<BR><BR>I think that's pretty damm cool.<BR><BR>He also did tell me that he's the one who bought the card from Henry, but because of its size, it can't be graded or put into a holder.<BR><BR>-dan

Archive
11-13-2002, 12:35 AM
Posted By: <b>B C Daniels</b><p>and I was thinking of giving it to you for a Christmas present but now.........