PDA

View Full Version : Review of Greater Boston Sports Collector's Show

Archive
11-04-2002, 06:36 PM
Posted By: <b>Patrick McMenemy</b><p>I attended the first day of this annual three-day show on Friday. Overall, I thought that the volume of vintage material (pre-1915) was down considerably. <BR><BR>Some of the more notable dealers included: Terry Knouse, Roger Burns, Steve Verkman, Lelands, Mr. Mint, Ron Barksdale, Ron Johnson, Bob Wood, and Hunt's Auctions.<BR><BR>Terry Knouse had his usual amazing selection of 19th and early 20th century cards and memorabilia. He had a tremendous 1916 Red Sox Pennant. Also a large selection of cabinet cards including: all the Dukes, many T3s, a Plank T5, numerous W600 Sporting Life Cabinets, a half dozen L1 leathers, and huge lot of Arras Keyers cabinets, several Plowboy Tobacco cabinets, and two T4 Obak cabinets.<BR><BR>Highlights of the show included: meeting Bill Cornell as we both were checking out the Fatima T222's at Roger Burns booth, meeting Don Betz at The Vintage & Classic Baseball Collector Booth, and selling a 1890's era team cabinet of the "P R Schuylers of Dickinson" to Lelands, which enabled me to purchase a Nr Mint W600 cabinet of George Gibson from Terry Knouse.<BR><BR>Some of the nicer items that I spotted included: a Matty L1, a George Gibson Hermes Ice Pin, many slabbed Mayos, and a PSA 8 Chief Meyers 1915 Cracker Jack. Furthermore, Ron Barksdale, a CT dealer had his usual nice assortment of colored S74 silks, near mint E254 Colgan's Chips, and numerous quality T207s.<BR><BR>Othen than the Colgan Chips, I was also very surprised that I saw only about 6 other E-cards. <BR><BR>Did anyone else attend?