PDA

View Full Version : H804

Archive
10-28-2002, 07:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert</b><p>Does anyone know anything about this H804 set? Like how many cards are in the set and how much do they go for. Thanks

Archive
10-28-2002, 08:23 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>who made the cards?<BR><BR>jay

Archive
10-28-2002, 09:06 PM
Posted By: <b>Glen V</b><p>The are lots of H804 sub-types: Forbes, Capadura Cigars, Merchants Gargling Oil, Tobin, etc. Check out Frank's site: <a href="http://hometown.aol.com/kealoha707/tradecards.html" target=_new>http://hometown.aol.com/kealoha707/tradecards.html</a><BR><BR>

Archive
10-29-2002, 08:20 AM
Posted By: <b>Rob</b><p>Do you know how much they run?

Archive
10-29-2002, 12:25 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>They're cheap for 19th century baseball cards. $30 - $50 a piece in around Vg is not uncommon. Personally, I like them, as they are large and colorful, but they've never lit the fire of the collecting public.

Archive
10-29-2002, 02:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>They are characactures of real players, a remarkable number of whom sound very, very English--which has always puzzled me. Anson: "Oh, come off!" Brouthers: "Watch me soak it!" Ferguson: "Not into it."<BR>Keefe: "Where'll you have it?" (very significant, because that was the last year a batter could ask for a "high" or "low" ball--it's the only one I have))(this is all from memory, so please forgive me if they're not exactly right. I'd love to have the whole set. Verkman has some beauties in his last catalogue...<BR><BR>The Tobins are H891, by the way.

Archive
10-29-2002, 02:22 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>The Tobin's are the best of the bunch, obviously, in part, as they depict (in charecture) real major leaguers. This is reflected in the higher price and that they are cataloged is SDC, but they are still a relative bargain. I think the Tobin's are great (bright colors and, as with trade cards in general, much larger than tobacco cards). They also are not as common one might think. Many of the other comic trade cards (Capadura, Forbes, etc), are common in number and get little respect. I have to admit that the charectors in the Forbes and Gargling cards are pretty scary creatures and not intended for viewing while eating.

Archive
10-29-2002, 02:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>(also on Frank's site) because they're so much more interesting. $250-$900 in nearmint.