PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Kile and Joss and Munson and Gehrig and Clemente..

Archive
10-29-2002, 02:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>and I believe that if Joss had contrived to get himself born in the second 2/3rds of the 20th century, he would have been afforded the same treatment as Gehrig and Clemente as far as the HOF is concerned. He has the second lowest ERA of all time, and his buddies, from various teams, played hooky to attend his funeral, and while they were there, gave birth to a player's union. He became ill at the height of his career, and, apparently, was very well liked (since I wouldn't be born for another 25 years, it's hard for me to say "loved," thougth I can say it for Gehrig and Clemente).<BR><BR>He played his 8 years for Cleveland, and FIVE times had an ERA of less than 2.00! Great won-loss ratio, inspite of a .500 final year. He died of a first cousin to Lou Gehrig's disease, which I understand is even quicker than L.G.D.<BR><BR>I guess the hullabaloo was about his 8 and 1/4 years; when they decided that what was good enough for Ross Youngs was good enough for Joss, they put him on the ballot, and he was elected. <BR><BR>Great career interrupted by fatal illness seems to do it every time. Even "career" will get you on (Munson and Kile)--but it won't get you elected.