PDA

View Full Version : Haven't these benn up before?

Archive
10-24-2002, 09:13 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1870598066&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1870598066&rd=1</a> <br>I believe these have been up before by the same seller a few months ago and sold?

Archive
10-24-2002, 09:36 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>we are seeing several repeat items from Henry's last auction - maybe all the bad press over these caused the buyer to back out?<br><br>

Archive
10-24-2002, 11:08 AM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>The uncut sheet had 3 rows each with the same 5 players. <BR><BR>The last group was the 2nd row of the sheet. This is probably the top or bottom row of the sheet.<BR><BR>

Archive
10-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>Agree. I don't think this is the same one as before. Lower grade.

Archive
10-24-2002, 01:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>...I recall bidding on this card because it was so unique and cool looking. I distinctly remember the wrinkle in front of Matty's chin on the card...I looked at that last auction and scan (two or three months ago, maybe) at least 100 times. I clearly remember that wrinkle in the paper, so I am sure it is the same card. The bidding went up over $2K last time. Unfortunately, I'm still not sure of where it came from, the year of manufacture, who made it, and so on. It'd be neat to know more about it. It's so dang hard to bid on something like this...<BR><BR>I did put up a thread about this very auction, too, about three days ago titled "Many of us have seen this Matty card before..." where I ask these same questions. Bottom line...it is one of my favorite portraits of him and it is a damm neat looking card.

Archive
10-24-2002, 02:06 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>"The Set of 5 subjects consist of Ty Cobb, Christy Mathewson, Cy Young, Rube Waddell and Louis Criger. A colorful fancy artwork design surrounds a portrait of the player taken from the baseball works of the legendary lens man, Carl Horner. The layout resembles that of postcards of the period similar to the beautiful design of the 1908-09 Rose Company postcards. An uncut sheet in a past Mastronet auction sold for $4478 and described by the firm in their catalog as “one of the most impressive turn of the century pieces…and believed to be one of a kind”. "<BR><BR>The above description would lead me to believe that there is only one of the Matty's in existence. Mastro was refering to the "sheet" being one of a kind.<BR><BR>Not to pick nits, but "unique" is a lot different from "at least 2 exist".

Archive
10-24-2002, 04:42 PM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>Is there a shill in the house? But that should be ok based on ebay's response to Broadway Rick right?