PDA

View Full Version : American Beauty - Matty, on eBay

Archive
10-17-2002, 02:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Mathewson</b><p>Something smells fishy here. What does the Board think about this card? I bought an "El Principe back" Matty recently that turned out to be fake (it was ungraded), but the seller bought it back promptly. Still, I had to eat shipping.<BR><BR>I just don't like the pain-in-the-butt of buying a fake card, and the return-and-refund-dance later.<BR><BR>Anyone with an eye for scans have an opinion on this card? The front looks authentic. I'm not versed on the American Beauty backs, their colors, etc. So, I'd like a little guidance here. Thanks.<BR><BR>-dan<BR><BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1868713128&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1868713128&rd=1</a>

Archive
10-17-2002, 02:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Ed McCollum</b><p>of the t-206s I own, I don't recall any being offset differently from front to back. That card looks pretty well centered side to side on the front, but is trimming off the cigarette ad on the back. That would seem a bit suspicious to me.

Archive
10-17-2002, 02:51 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Hey Dan,<BR>I am not an expert on T206 but this card looks good to me. As we know the American Beauty's were thinner, which this is, to fit into thinner cig packs....and the seller looks legit.....I think it is good albeit overgraded by a few grades.....take care and best regards

Archive
10-17-2002, 03:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><BR>Hi Dan<BR> The card looks legit, but I agree with Leon it's not Ex-Mt.PSA has been a little harsh on American Beauty's lately, I have 2 in PSA 3 holders which look just like this card if not better. good luck brian

Archive
10-17-2002, 07:39 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Beautiful card, but I think way overpriced at the $399 opening bid. probably vgex. An American Beauty 460 back would demand more of a premium.<br><br>

Archive
10-17-2002, 11:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian C Daniels</b><p>right on as usual.

Archive
10-18-2002, 09:37 AM
Posted By: <b>James</b><p><BR>Dan,<BR><BR>Just a few thoughts from a fellow T206 back-collector:<BR><BR>I do not think this card is rebacked.<BR><BR>I have seen a number of "really good" rebacked cards, and, almost never, is the "frame" line on the reverse, as close to the border (edge) of the card, as is this one. When the "new back" is laid down and pressed, having a line that close to the pressure point of the pressing would appear more obvious than where there is/was no ink at all. That alone leads me to feel it is authentic.<BR><BR>Also, the very light stains, chipping, and general surface wear, seem consistent from front to back.<BR><BR>I would encourage you to request a 200% or greater enhanced scan, tho, and rest the images side by side for observation, before you pull the trigger.<BR><BR>I agree with everyone else - the condition is good/good+, not much better. I would also ask about the nature/origin white "scratch line" or crease or whatever that is, front, left side, because the seller said there is only one crease, makes no mention of this imperfection.<BR><BR>I'd love to have this card myself, but, can't see it being worth more than about $275.00 - it is destined for a 2 holder if it ever winds up in the hands of PSA. Aside from a low technical grade - I would say this - color is fantastic, wear is minimal.<BR><BR>I do not think the card is trimmed or altered.<BR><BR>Just my thoughts...<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>James Verrill

Archive
10-18-2002, 09:38 PM
Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>Why go to the time and trouble to back it as an AB? They don't command that much of a premium. Now a Drum, Lennox, Hindu or Uzit, that would be another story. Do Mattys exist with Drum or Uzits backs?

Archive
10-18-2002, 10:00 PM
Posted By: <b>brian parker</b><p>Perhaps someone would reback with American Beauty if the card, due to trimming on L/R borders, appeared suspiciously narrow to a knowledgeable T206 collector. An American Beauty back would be the solution, due to its inherent narrower dimensions, for just such a card molestor. Just a theory.<BR><BR>Brian

Archive
10-19-2002, 06:33 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><BR>Hi TBob<BR> I have never seen a Matty Drum or Uzit back, but it is possible according to the monster. It appears that the dark cap version could be found with either back.<BR>Anybody have one? lmk brian