PDA

View Full Version : t206 HOF portraits

Archive
10-04-2002, 11:22 AM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>Okay, here's an obscure list to debate.<BR><BR>I've been trying to complete a t206 HOF portrait collection in vg to vgex condition for about a year, with appearance the priority - color, registration, no creases that break the paper. I've learned a lot during the process, such as: most of the green-background cards I found had poor color, but when there was lots of green ink they looked great. Others, like Beckley and Willis were very easy to find, but looked horrible unless they had good registration. Others look so good when printed correctly, that you just can't settle for one with poor color or registration - Evers, Clarke and Huggins are examples of this. Some, like Griffith, Bresnahan and Walsh, still look good when color or registration are slightly off. Chance orange and E.Collins seem to look bad no matter how they are printed. Based on the preceeding qualifiers, here's my difficulty list, toughest first. In some cases I might have gotten lucky and found a difficult card early and stopped looking - Cy Young was one of my first - but most have been upgraded at least once, some such as Matty, many times. I found the top 4 on the list to be especially difficult, and still don't have a red Chance.<BR> <BR>1.Frank Chance (red)- tough to find<BR>2.Tinker - tough, backgr. varies between red/orange<BR>3.Jennings - extremely tough to find with color,reg.<BR>4.McGraw - lots of "low ink" cards, reg. can be off<BR>5.Chesbro - reg. can be off, tuff to find in nice cond.<BR>6.Lajoie - reg. problems are common<BR>7.Evers - background ink, reg. problems<BR>8.Joss - moderately hard to find w/good color,reg.<BR>9.Collins,E - reg. is tough (ugly to begin with)<BR>10.Beckley - reg. is tough, but card is common<BR>11.Clarke - color and reg. is tough<BR>12.Willis - color and reg. is tough, but an easy card<BR>13.Collins,J - reg. is tough<BR>14.Brown - when found, color and reg. are normally good<BR>15.Huggins - reg. can be off<BR>16.Cobb (green)- background color problems, trimming<BR>17.Waddell - reg. can be off, beautiful when perfect<BR>18.Young - probs w/low background ink<BR>19.Keeler - almost always looks nice <BR>20.Bender - reg. can be off<BR>21.Marquard<BR>22.Johnson - reg. can be off, but it's fuzzy anyway<BR>23.Wallace - easy<BR>24.Mathewson - reg. and color normally good<BR>25.Cobb (red)- reg. problems<BR>26.Walsh - reg. and background color can be off<BR>27.Chance (orange)- reg. poor to begin with, easy card<BR>28.Griffith - easy<BR>29.Bresnahan - easy<BR><br><br>

Archive
10-04-2002, 01:08 PM
Posted By: <b>jeff s</b><p>It's been a while since I did t206s, but I remember the Chance portrait red being the easiest of them all, with the possible exceptions of the last two on the list. I think I had three of those before I got a duplicate of any other HOFers. Granted, I wasn't looking for top grade, but as I remember, all of my cards were in low grade only because of normal wear and tear: creases, corners, etc.

Archive
10-04-2002, 02:49 PM
Posted By: <b>John(z28jd)</b><p>Great list Scott,im gonna check mine with your list and get back to you with comparisons

Archive
10-04-2002, 04:55 PM
Posted By: <b>ty_cobb</b><p>On your list I have multiples of the Cobb<BR>red, and a lower cond. Cobb green. I have<BR>an SGC40 red Chance, bold red, good registration.<BR>I'm working on T206 Hof'ers, but prefer to have<BR>them on a rare back if I can.

Archive
10-04-2002, 08:32 PM
Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>The list was just meant to show how difficult it was for me to find cards that met my collecting criteria - I'm guessing it isn't a good reflection of scarcity. For instance, if one or two people were to sell green portrait Cobbs for a pretty penny on ebay, I'm sure they would come out of the woodwork. Inversely, several Tinker portraits have shown up on ebay lately and haven't drawn much attention, so I expect them to dry up again - a weak brown Hindu went for $62 today, but I still think it was a bargain.<BR><BR>I am gradually replacing my non-graded ones with SGC-graded cards. I sold an SGC30 green Cobb that had great visual appeal - now I'm kicking myself! <br><br>