PDA

View Full Version : DIAMOND MATCH FOOTBALL

Archive
09-24-2002, 09:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay Miller&nbsp; </b><p>Although this is off the theme of the board I know some posters have diversified to other sports. I was wondering if anyone collects Diamond Match football covers.

Archive
09-24-2002, 11:11 AM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>If you mean the 1930s kind, I don't have any any more, but had a pile of them a couple of years ago (football, hockey and baseball). The baseball versions aren't that popular, but the footall and hockey versions sold well. That makes sense with football, as there are few fb cards from that period.

Archive
09-24-2002, 11:33 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay Miller</b><p>David--That is what I meant, the 1930s football. Aside from the National Chicle set there is really no other way to get period "cards" of football players. The set does have a baseball tie in as there is a Cal Hubbard (only man in baseball and football HOF) cover in the first series picturing him with the Packers.

Archive
09-24-2002, 11:55 AM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>I had a couple of Hubbards, but never the key, Bronco Nagurski. The hockey versions have the exact same design/colors, with lots of HOFers, and sold for around the same prices as the football. While they'll never be mistaken (or priced) for National Chicles, they are neat collectables that I assume are essentials for the vintage football card collector. The baseball versions come in a wider and wilder selection of colors, but suffer from the fact that there are so many contemperary baseball cards, including the Goudeys.

Archive
09-24-2002, 12:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Jay Miller</b><p>That's interesting. I have had lots of Nagurskis but have only seen one Hubbard.

Archive
09-24-2002, 12:40 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>I don't think one is scarcer than the other. When I bought the collection, it had all to almost all the matchbooks except for Nagurski (by far the most expensive). The hockeys included two complete sets with all the HOFers. I assumed (probably correctly) that he had picked out all the Nagurskis.

Archive
09-24-2002, 12:43 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>The collector had listed all the FB Hofers in the collection and, at the time, I had no idea Nagurski was a part of the issue-- so there was no suprise or dissapointment on my part.